Author Topic: Any Fellow Anime Fans Out There?  (Read 8213 times)

Offline Blue Leader

• Rebel Legion member
  • Ace Pilot
    • Blue Leader's Universe
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Any Fellow Anime Fans Out There?
« on: October 26, 2016, 01:03:23 AM »
Well, I did this a few years ago but there have been lots of new members since then so I thought that I might try this again. I'm a big Japanese anime geek (especially Mobile Suit Gundam 0079, uber geek there). How big of a geek? Well, I've watched over 450 different anime series and movies.

Are there any other anime fans out there?

Possible discussion topics...
-Your first anime series?
-Your favorite anime series?
-Your least favorite anime series?
-Your favorite character in an anime?
-Your favorite anime-style video game?
-Anime cosplay that you've done before?
-The last series or movie that you've watched?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 01:07:04 AM by Blue Leader »
B-wing Pilot - Jedi[/center]

Offline Kyuzo Larkin

• Cloud City Reserve
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Re: Any Fellow Anime Fans Out There?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 01:57:59 PM »
My first foray into anime was with Pokemon back in '99. But I've loved DBZ, Gundam (Seen most of them), Yu Yu Hakusho, Rurouni Kenshin, Outlaw Star, Last Exile, Naruto, Black Lagoon, SAO, Knights of Sidonia. I was a kid when Toonami was playing on weekdays on Cartoon Network. I was definitely a 90's kid to remember the golden age of cartoon network. So there were tons more shows I could list and name.

I've also recently gotten into slice of life anime like Usagi Drop, Toradora!, and Your Lie in April, as well as Chihayafuru.

What turns me away from certain anime are the overuse of anime expressions. I can't stand One Piece and Soul Eater for this reason.
Carpe Swineum!

Feel free to friend me on facebook!

TB-33575

Offline Chask274

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 12:37:26 AM »
I've only finished a few series, and am slowly working my way through others, but yeah I'm a fan. Some of the shows I enjoy are SAO, Attack on Titan, Fairy Tail, Soul Eater, Aldnoah.zero, and Kill la Kill.

I can't say anyone of them is my favorite, mostly because it's too hard to pick one. :)

Offline Pixelito

• Cloud City Retired
  • Bats EVERYWHERE!!!
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 10:27:55 AM »
Figured I'd share this here for those of you that haven't seen it. It's very relevant. 
https://youtu.be/PN_CP4SuoTU
TK-16924
Heavy Weapons Trooper

Offline spyrl

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 12:40:19 PM »
My husband and I are anime fans as well.  We've gone to Kumoricon for the past 11+ years in cosplay from several different animes.  He makes an awesome Maes Hughes from FullMetal Alchemist.  :mrgreen:
"He was determined to discover the underlying logic behind the universe.
Which was going to be hard, because there wasn't one." Terry Pratchett

Offline Blue Leader

• Rebel Legion member
  • Ace Pilot
    • Blue Leader's Universe
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2016, 12:49:37 PM »
Sorry for the delayed response. Forgot to check back. :P

Man, I remember the classic Toonami from years ago. That's pretty much what got me started on anime, back when it had Sailor Moon and Robotech. Then I've just went on from there. Gundam is something I love as much as Star Wars, so I'm a big nerd when it comes to that.

Kumoricon, I haven't been to that convention in a few years. I used to go fairly regularly and then money got tight and I kept hoping to be able to swing it and then realized that I couldn't. Heh. And then they changed the date of the convention and I forgot about it. >>;;

Maes Hughes cosplay, heh heh that sounds like fun. Anyone else do any anime cosplay?

On another note, my B-wing pilot helmet has three Gundam references. The right side has the Earth Federation insignia and I have "Gundam is forever" written in Aurebesh. The visor has "GUNDAM" printed on it, though it's scratched up and dirtied so it's not so easy to make out. My personal insignia has the Twi'lek character on it drawn in the anime style. I have a chibi version of it, too. :lol:
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 12:53:34 PM by Blue Leader »

Offline shwarzwald

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 10:32:42 AM »
Wow its been years, but I cosplayed as edward elric at SDCC and genderbent medusa at ECC more recently.
Also yeah started with animes on toonami mostly and it just boomed from there. Nowadays I mostly read manga online to stay current and sit around for months waiting for a new chapter.

Offline Blue Leader

• Rebel Legion member
  • Ace Pilot
    • Blue Leader's Universe
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 11:37:19 PM »
Heheh, those sound like a couple of fun costumes. Always thought that it would be fun to do an Alex Armstrong cosplay... If, y'know, I had the body for it. Heh.

I don't read as much manga as I should. I watch a lot more anime than I read manga, though I do enjoy a good manga. Where do you usually read it online?

Offline shwarzwald

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 03:02:30 PM »
Mangatown.com is my go to place to read manga. I find I tend to read more manga because reading a chapter here or there doesn't feel like it takes as much time to sit and watch an episode of the anime. Ya know?

Offline Blue Leader

• Rebel Legion member
  • Ace Pilot
    • Blue Leader's Universe
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2016, 11:56:10 PM »
Ah, I'll have to check that out. Thanks.

I know what you mean about the time thing. If an anime series is based on a manga it doesn't always follow the manga very well, either. I just tend to watch more anime over reading manga... Partly because I have Anime Network On-Demand so there's free stuff for me to watch every week.  :lol:

Offline shwarzwald

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2016, 12:24:41 AM »
Soul eater is a good example of that. Anime followed the manga until a point and did a 180.( Assumingly it caught up with source material.)

Offline Blue Leader

• Rebel Legion member
  • Ace Pilot
    • Blue Leader's Universe
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2017, 12:40:52 PM »
Ditto. Bleach was another. While I love the anime it was quite different from the manga. Heck, the anime even had story arcs that weren't in the manga. From what I've heard, Tite Kubo doesn't even consider the anime series canon, just the manga.

Offline shwarzwald

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2017, 12:55:51 PM »
Oh a large part of that was they caught up and just made filler arcs until source material progressed a bit more. The sad thing is kubo had gotten rushed near the end of the series. So the ending suffered a bit for it. 

Also its nice to talk to someone about manga and anime.

Offline Blue Leader

• Rebel Legion member
  • Ace Pilot
    • Blue Leader's Universe
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2017, 10:26:00 PM »
Yeah, I'd heard that the anime was ahead of the manga. Still, it's weird to think that the anime could be so different, but that's not unusual. That often seems to be the case. Though isn't the Bleach manga still going? I can't remember now.

It's definitely always nice to meet another anime fan.  :mrgreen:

Offline shwarzwald

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2017, 10:48:06 PM »
Nope it finished up.  Chapter 686 was the last one. Was suuuper rushed too. Soooo many questions unanswered.

Tags: