Author Topic: Video camera and/or digital camera question  (Read 2380 times)

Offline Daverian

Video camera and/or digital camera question
« on: July 29, 2009, 09:22:14 PM »
Does anyone know a good model of video camera and/or digital camera?
Both of ours died at the same time.
Money is scarce, but we need to get a good camera and video camera soon.
I have been looking for top rated affordable cameras online, but the lists are old.
Has anyone out there done the research?

Thanks!!

Offline Jabbasdead

Re: Video camera and/or digital camera question
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 09:43:53 PM »
what is your price range and what do you want to do with it.  Do you want a d. camera that allows you to point and shoot or are you like me that like the old fashion setting that the old film camera uses.  Now a days you can get a good camera that has a built in video recorder for $300.  I mean if you are planning on shooting high definition and need 20x optical zoom your going to be paying a few $$$.  Give me a basic price range and what your shooting and I will give you some suggestions.

Offline Lufta Shif

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 10:01:35 PM »
For a simple camera, I love my Nikon Coolpix L18.  I like it so much, in fact, that when I accidently dropped and smashed my first one, I went out and bought another just like it.  Big viewscreen in the back for a small camera.  Fits nicely in my Jedi belt's back utility pouch.  I got it at Office Depot for around 120 bucks. 

Offline Ancient Fan

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 10:48:35 PM »
We have a Fuji Finepix S1000 that I used for the pics at the Star Wars Store, Star Wars Musical Press Conference and the Autism troop events.
It has a 10x optical zoom, but allows you to take it from full auto to program (shutter speed / aperture) - does panoramic and quicktime video.
It was $120 at Target. I have no problem taking it with me traveling for work or troop events. Good quality, and variety of features. I put a 4gb SD card in it for lots of HQ pics.

Phil
Phil / ID 7538

Imperial Doorman

Offline FireStorm

• Cloud City Retired
  • Shoeless Duke Rufus!!
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 11:35:43 PM »
On video cameras, you want to either stick with tape or hard disk drives.  Never, ever get disk cameras.  The disk is proprietary and final, so no edits later. If you want to edit you want one that has FireWire or an equivalent, not USB unless it is an HDD.  Tape doesn't capture to a computer through USB but HDD drives do.

VIXIA HG20 (This one is HD, recording in HDV language)
Good camera:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=177&modelid=17382

For a better price:
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-VIXIA-AVCHD-Camcorder-Optical/dp/B001DTTCQA

DC420
Good el-cheapo camera and good price
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=171&modelid=18003

FireStorm aka Martin Vavra
Mjolnir
"It's easy shooting Ewoks...you just don't lead them as much!"

Offline Carlos

• Cloud City Reserve
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 08:26:26 PM »
We have an old Sony digital camera 2.0 megapix we don't use any more. PM me if you want it. Thanks. Carlos
By your Command.

Offline Daverian

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 07:42:27 AM »
PM sent

Tags: