Author Topic: Hello from Another Hopeful Trooper! Armor Leads?  (Read 3428 times)

Offline RainTrooper

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Hello from Another Hopeful Trooper! Armor Leads?
« on: January 02, 2013, 02:32:05 PM »
Hello everyone!  My name is Jason.  I've been a life-long Star Wars fan and Kenner action figure junkie since I saw ESB in the theater at age 5.  The Special Editions and prequels of the late 90's reignited my love for the movies and toys (a familiar story, I'm sure).  I guess you could say It's now been FURTHER fueled by all the recent Star Wars news.  I've been wanting to don the white armor since I first found out about the 501st in the late 90's.  I would really love to be a part of the charity events the Legion participates in, and I am extrememly eager to finally start putting together a suit of shiny white stormtrooper armor!  ANH (stunt or Hero) or ESB preferably.  I've done a little research so far, on the 501st site (of course) and whitearmor.net, but before I put my name on a waiting list, I figured I'd poke my head in here to see if any fellow Portlanders had some leads on the best places to purchase. I don't suppose there is anyone local who makes/sells armor?  Probably a long shot but hey, it can't hurt to ask.   :D 

Also, I'm familiar with recasts and eBay and everything else to avoid, but what are your thoughts on this guys armor?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/330849442906?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649       

Thanks for your time, and hopefully I'll be trooping sooner rather than later!
TK/TD-76216

Offline Aysel

Re: Hello from Another Hopeful Trooper! Armor Leads?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 05:03:13 PM »
First off, Hello and Welcome! Secondly, ebay is evil. You'll want to go to whitearmor.net and do some research there, they are the stormtrooper (TK) detachment and they'll have what you need to know and what to look for there.

^_^

Offline Quick2

• Cloud City Member
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 06:46:49 PM »
There are also many TK's here who can give you tips.  White armor is a good place and the sale threads there.  Construction and Armor parties to help with the kit build can be addressed here. :)
Allan Quick

Offline RainTrooper

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 12:57:22 PM »
Thanks guys!  I think I got all the right info from the FISD.  Now, it's just a matter of placing orders and assembling.. however long that's gonna take me.  :)   
This thread was the ticket!
http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/11538-the-various-types-of-armor-and-where-to-find-them/
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 01:10:46 PM by RainTrooper »
TK/TD-76216

Offline RainTrooper

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 05:54:45 PM »
Woohoo!!  ATA helmet kit came today! 7 month wait-list for the armor, though... Plenty of time to gather the tools needed and finish the helmet, I guess.  :grin:   

Portland Comic Con was a blast! It was great meeting everyone at the 501st, Rebel Legion and Jedi tables! I was the one in the borrowed ROTS Clone Trooper armor.  It was my first armor experience, and I can't wait to finish my TK, join up and keep doin' it!

Oh, and I went to tkboots.com the other day... They're gone!! Shop is closed down!  :embarassed: What are some other good boot options?  I did some research and found a few, but they either had shiny patented leather or just a plain wrong design.
TK/TD-76216

Offline stevo502

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 07:48:01 PM »
Looks like there's a lot of boot discussion going on at FISD. Some folks have gotten lucky emailing them and asking if they have any leftovers in the right size, might try that. They also  have some links to boots that could be dyed, and a tutorial.

Here's the thread I saw:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/23105-tkboots-problem/

Offline Luananeko

• Kashyyyk Base Reserve
  • The "Avatar Lady"...
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 12:01:06 AM »
Welcome! Keep us posted with pics of your progress as you go, we always love helping recruits fine tune their build!

And if you haven't gotten your blaster yet, let me know... My husband Ron and I can hook you up so you won't have to pay shipping :)

Kim

--- Check out our "Unbreakable" E-11's and more! www.THGProps.com ---

Offline RainTrooper

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 08:55:29 AM »
Awesome. Thanks Steve and Kim! 

I checked out the FISD forum on the boot issue.. I just emailed tkboots with a long-shot request for anything between 9.5 to 10.5 (common sizes, I know).. fingers crossed!  If not, looks like I'll be dying some boots, but I'll worry about that later.

Thanks Kim! I haven't done any blaster research yet, so that is great! I love to buy locally!  Not ready to throw down for one quite yet.. probably once I'm closer to finishing my full kit.  Do you make props from home? What would a ballpark cost be on a blaster?
TK/TD-76216

Offline Luananeko

• Kashyyyk Base Reserve
  • The "Avatar Lady"...
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 09:46:28 AM »
Yep, Ron's got some health issues that make it impossible for him to work at a normal job, so he, our friend, and I make props out of our place as a side business :) I'll PM you the details.

Kim

--- Check out our "Unbreakable" E-11's and more! www.THGProps.com ---

Offline RainTrooper

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 11:50:23 AM »
SCORE!! tkboots.com had a pair of 10's left in stock! They said they were slightly blemished and the grain on the leather was a bit big (?), but that they looked great.  Replied to my email within a half hour.  Thanks again Steve for recommending getting ahold of them!  I did NOT want to have to paint black boots white.. I know it's more ANH screen accurate and all, but... yeah.   
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 11:53:22 AM by RainTrooper »
TK/TD-76216

Tags: