Author Topic: The armor building adventures of an inexperienced newbie  (Read 20815 times)

Offline Pixelito

• Cloud City Retired
  • Bats EVERYWHERE!!!
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
The armor building adventures of an inexperienced newbie
« on: February 27, 2016, 10:30:16 PM »
My armor kit is set to arrive in the next few days, so I figured I'd get my build log started to some extent.
This first post is just going to be some general background on my skills and experience with relevant things, just so people know where I'm coming from and how I'm approaching this whole process.
I'll also make a general rundown of my major concerns and how I initially plan on solving them.

I will be doing a Heavy Weapons Trooper build, but it will start off as just an ANH Stunt build.... HWT really just seems to be an addon to that, so I'll focus on the base first.

Right then!
I have absolutely no experience with costume making or anything similar. I'm not even a very artistic person.
I have a bit of a history with starting projects like this and giving up before I even make any progress because I get very overwhelmed, realize I'm in over my head and that things will never meet my own expectations.
I have a ton of electronics experience, so I'm looking forward to modifying my helmet in various ways. I think this is the only thing that I'm very comfortable with.
I have some painting experience, but it is limited to models. I do plan on replacing any decals with hand-painted ones.

Here are the major challenges that I see myself facing, aside from the general lack of skill or experience.

-I'm a fairly large person. 6'4" 250lbs.
     Obviously, most armor is not designed for a person of such a height. I'm using an Anovos kit, as many are. (couldn't pass up that price!) I think that I'll be okay with the limb construction, might just have slightly larger gaps in the armor, but I have a feeling that my chest plate will not overlap the abdominal plate. I'm thinking that I might be able to fix this by separating the abdominal plate and shimming it to add a bit of length, then hiding all that with the belt. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

-I'm not too afraid to admit this...but my size issues aren't limited to my height. This slight gut of mine might get in the way a bit!
     If the abdominal plate does not sit how I want it to then, well, something needs to be done about the offending fatness. I've been working on this issue for a while, but it's certainly a very slow process. In the mean time, if necessary, I'll probably end up using an abdominal compression thing for post-surgery. Yeah, it's silly... but if it achieves the effect I want, then so be it.

-As stated before, I tend to get very overwhelmed, which usually causes me to just give up on things.
     This is probably going to be the hardest issue to overcome. I'm thinking about just setting small goals for myself and only focusing on certain parts of the armor at a time, rather than looking at the whole thing. We'll see how this goes! I also have a friend that is very experienced with costuming making and will likely get his help with the strapping system, as that is something that I feel like I'll screw up.

I think that's about it. I'll keep updating this as things move forward but for now, I'm just waiting around until I can finally get to work!
TK-16924
Heavy Weapons Trooper

Offline daryldoak

Re: The armor building adventures of an inexperienced newbie
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 10:35:10 PM »
Good luck on your build.  Let me know if you have any questions.
TK/TA/TS/IS/IC/BH-11371

Offline Pixelito

• Cloud City Retired
  • Bats EVERYWHERE!!!
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 10:38:48 PM »
Good luck on your build.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you, Daryl! I'll need all the luck I can get! :D
TK-16924
Heavy Weapons Trooper

Offline Sinanju20

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 01:29:12 PM »
Good luck! Just to let you know I am off similar height and weight and was able to get mine approved.  Just take your time and make adjustmentsas you go and should be good to go. Also if you have any questions I'd be more than happy to help!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TK-10149

Offline Pixelito

• Cloud City Retired
  • Bats EVERYWHERE!!!
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 10:27:43 AM »
Well, after many delays, I finally got my big brown box yesterday!
I sorta' got a little excited and started trimming parts without taking pictures first. Oops!
I'll take some after I have everything trimmed out....but you guys already know what armor pieces look like.  :tongue:
If things continue at the rate I was going, I'll have everything trimmed tonight after work.

Noob notes #1:
-My trimmed edges look horrible. Absolutely horrible. I have lots of sanding in my future, but I think I can make everything look nice...hopefully.

-Even though I'm taking my time, I have slipped a few times and put a slight gouge in the return edge of a number of parts. I need to find a good way to hide those mistakes.

-I did some rough fitting and I will definitely need to shim some parts. Thighs will need a little extra space for sure.

-There is (very) roughly a 3.5" gap between my ab and chest plates. I'm hoping that I can split the codpiece from the ab plate, add a few inches of plastic and cover that up with the belt. Does anybody have better ideas for fixing this issue?

-Belt definitely needs to be replaced. I'll need to come up with an acceptable way to have detachable, yet accurate looking holster and drop boxes, as I'm doing a Heavy Weapons Trooper but would like the option to "convert" it to an ANH Stunt on occasion.

-Shoulder bells seem wonky? They aren't symmetrical and have a slightly weird curve to them. Is this normal?

-Helmet needs lots of modifications for my own comfort, but looks pretty good. Need to replace decals with paint, fix paint on the teeth, replace the frown mesh and replace the eye visor thing.

I'll post more updates as things progress!
TK-16924
Heavy Weapons Trooper

Offline RainTrooper

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 07:11:39 PM »
Absolutely nothing about stormtrooper armor is (or should be) symmetrical. Rest easy. Embrace the wonkiness!  :mrgreen: 
TK/TD-76216

Offline Pixelito

• Cloud City Retired
  • Bats EVERYWHERE!!!
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 08:06:21 PM »
Absolutely nothing about stormtrooper armor is (or should be) symmetrical. Rest easy. Embrace the wonkiness!  :mrgreen:

I'm certainly starting to gather that. I was aware of some asymmetry, but I wasn't prepared for just how much deviation there really is! I guess the wording on the CRL is probably what caused my concern.
I will learn to love the wonkiness in time!
TK-16924
Heavy Weapons Trooper

Offline Pixelito

• Cloud City Retired
  • Bats EVERYWHERE!!!
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 08:47:05 PM »
Today, I finished trimming out all my parts. Up next is LOTS of sanding!

I also received my boots from TKBoots and I love them. Super impressed with the quality, really.

Things are finally starting to move along. I'm actually starting to get a little overwhelmed already, just looking at all the work I have left and how many parts I'll have to modify.

I definitely need to extend the ab plate up. I'll need to shim the thighs a little bit as well, and I'll need to shim the kidney plate to eliminate the gap it leaves. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the back pieces just yet... Everything needs to be extended a little. Being tall is certainly starting to show it's drawbacks.
TK-16924
Heavy Weapons Trooper

Offline Pixelito

• Cloud City Retired
  • Bats EVERYWHERE!!!
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 09:10:45 PM »
I got all my parts sanded over the weekend and started gluing things together today.
I have a sheet of ABS plastic arriving tomorrow, so I can start the terrifying process of extending my ab plate. Does anybody here have any experience doing this? I'm also curious how bad it will hurt my eligibility for anything beyond basic approval.

I intend to separate near the 'A' detail, or whatever it's called, and hide it all behind the belt. Hoping I can make it work... This actually makes me wonder how high up the chest plate is supposed to be. I currently have it sitting right up against my neck, but if I can drop it a little, that would really help with this gap!

I'm also going to have a major gap between my back plate and kidney plate.... I have no idea how I'm going to fix it.

Here's that chest/ab gap I have to fix.
TK-16924
Heavy Weapons Trooper

Offline sitpadeshu

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2016, 06:52:50 AM »
I have shimmed the sides.  It's fine as long as you sand it well to hide the seam.  If you need to extend the ab cut the cod and extend there.  Several taller guys have done it this way. Cut along the natural crease on the top of the cod. You can get a good 2" and hid it under the belt.  I've seen another trooper extend his kidney by buying a second kidney from another maker and cutting both kidneys to create the length need.  He covered the seam with ABS paste.  It looked really good.
ID/TA-41414

Offline Pixelito

• Cloud City Retired
  • Bats EVERYWHERE!!!
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2016, 08:10:54 AM »
... Cut along the natural crease on the top of the cod. You can get a good 2" and hid it under the belt....

I have heard that I should cut there, but I've also heard that I need to cut a little higher up, directly underneath where the belt is supposed to sit. Haven't found a definitive answer yet. Might try mocking it up with something.
TK-16924
Heavy Weapons Trooper

Offline sitpadeshu

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2016, 01:43:16 PM »
The belt sits over the crease. You can't reproduce the indentations of the ab piece with a shim.  That doesn't matter with cutting at the crease.  I've only seen one person cut it higher and several people told him he had to fix it.  I cut mine at the crease and you can't see the cut.  You can see my build in the Stormtrooper build section.
ID/TA-41414

Offline Pixelito

• Cloud City Retired
  • Bats EVERYWHERE!!!
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2016, 11:21:26 AM »
I finally bit the bullet and separated the cod and ab pieces last night. As I suspected, the belt won't cover the entire shim that I have to add... Luckily, I've been planning on that and have a plan in place! I'm waiting for a few things to show up before I continue, Apoxie Sculpt being one of them. I'll document the modification over the next few days, as I work on it. Hopefully this works out okay! I have too much time, money and blood invested in this for it to fail!

Major things that still need work:
1. Ab to cod piece shim
2. Kidney to ab shim
3. Thigh shim
4. Shin shim/hooks
5. Filling gaps between back, kidney and butt plates
6. Helmet accuracy fixes
7. Strapping system
8. Backpack
TK-16924
Heavy Weapons Trooper

Offline Pixelito

• Cloud City Retired
  • Bats EVERYWHERE!!!
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2016, 10:53:51 PM »
Well, here it is. I finally lengthened my ab plate. It's not perfect. Hell, by most standards it's rather bad.... But the fact that I was able to do it at all is a miracle.

Lots of pictures ahead

I started by separating along the seam

I then cut a piece of ABS and reattached the pieces with an excessive amount of glue. Pardon the weird rotation, my phone decided that it looked better that way, I guess.

Added a little strip to help continue that detail

Filled the gap with WAY too much Apoxie Sculpt. I got a little carried away and didn't want to waste what I had already mixed

Sanded it all down

And finally painted it

You can see a number of flaws with it for sure. I got a little lazy with the upper part of the shim since my hand was basically going numb from all the sanding and it gets covered by the belt anyway. There are a few areas that didn't get sanded evenly as well, but I think that the slight weathering I have to do will cover up those little mistakes.

All in all I'm...well... I'm conflicted about the result. I'm proud that I did anything at all, but I'm mentally too much of a perfectionist. My hands just can't achieve the perfection that my brain wants. I basically have the artistic skill of a 4 year old with  only one arm.

I hope I can make this work in the end.
TK-16924
Heavy Weapons Trooper

Offline daryldoak

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2016, 11:19:01 PM »
Looks good Brian, nice work.
TK/TA/TS/IS/IC/BH-11371

Tags: