Author Topic: Noobie climbing on-board in Portland  (Read 6382 times)

Offline Pod racer

• Cloud City Retired
    • Portland Homes For Cars
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Noobie climbing on-board in Portland
« on: January 04, 2012, 11:48:38 PM »
Hi there, it's time to step up with my first post.

My name is Mark, and I've spent the last two weeks surfing these forums to get a sense of what the 501st is about.  Knee surgery in early December is what gave me the time to browse, and the full set of blu-ray DVDs is how I introduced my 6-year old daughter to the Force. Combine that with a box of about 40 of my original figurines from the first two releases, and both my daughter and I were hooked.  Meanwhile, my wife just shakes her head.

I live in SW Portland, and I'm interested in getting to know more of the regulars here. From my reading, it looks like spotting is the logical starting point. So I'm thinking about Evergreen on the 28th. A movie-quality costume for trooping is eventually in my future, but not likely this year.  I'd rather work on my daughter wearing a Jawa costume at Halloween than a princess or mermaid.

Why Pod Racer? Because I play with cars at the racetrack, collect them at home (7.5 currently), and sell them during the day (attached to homes).  I specialize in homes for car enthusiasts, however a large garage is good for cars, boats, kayaks, and I suppose hosting armor parties.

I've got a flexible schedule, and would love to meet anyone for a cup of coffee just to start connecting faces to screen names.  Give me a call at 503-703-0618 if interested.

Now the first step is behind me....
Biker Scout (TB-19161)
And a couple of old Italian racing pods

Ribann

Re: Noobie climbing on-board in Portland
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 09:40:06 AM »
Welcome aboard! If you were to work on a costume, any idea of what you'd want to do?

Offline Quick2

• Cloud City Member
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 01:14:48 PM »
Welcome to Cloud City Garrison Mark. I am sure you will meet with many of our members and get to know many better. We will assist you in any way to help you to fullfill your desire to Costume with us. In the meantime sit back and enjoy your stay. Ask questions.  We appreciate your willingness to help spot with our group.  Many of our members will be at Space and Air museum.  We can then give you a hands on what a spotter will do and how he or she helps. We have a Captain of Spotters Phil Chilcote for our larger gatherings and he will let you know the duties involved and how many spotters we need. Thank you again for posting and looking forward to meeting you at Museum troop.

Allan Quick
Commanding Officer
CCG
Allan Quick

Offline TD-8821

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 05:44:05 PM »
hello and welcome mark!:)
Look sir,droids!!!!
Rob...
TD-8821
CCG,MEPD officer,

Offline Luananeko

• Kashyyyk Base Reserve
  • The "Avatar Lady"...
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 12:04:25 AM »
Welcome! My dad used to race and build Formula Two cars back until just before I was born, so it's always fun to run into other race car enthusiasts :) Sadly my dad sorta shakes his head at all this stuff too, but he still helps my husband and I out with any of our trickier parts and projects. Many of us have rather small areas to work with at home for costuming, so it's always great to have someone offering to help host armor parties so everyone can collaborate and get the road blockers in the building process out of the way. Looking forward to meeting you at the Evergreen troop!

Kim

--- Check out our "Unbreakable" E-11's and more! www.THGProps.com ---

Offline Aysel

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 03:18:13 PM »
Hello and Welcome from Kashyyyk Base! As Luananeko was saying it's nice when someone has space to host an armor party and you'd be surprised (or maybe not) to see how many of the skills you use for building come in handy in this hobby ^_^ and yes come out to help spot at the evergreen museum

Offline Pod racer

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 10:21:43 PM »
Thanks for the welcome comments, it will be good to meet each of you in person.

As for the large garage, I sell homes with large garages. My current home has a standard garage, which I use for various car projects. Sorry for the confusion.

I'd be happy to attend any armor parties and contribute my mechanical skills, as I've done a fair amount of fabrication on our race cars.

And I'll head over to register for the Evergreen event.
Biker Scout (TB-19161)

Offline Aysel

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 06:47:58 PM »
Hey that's more space then some of have to work in ^_^

Offline Sithman

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 10:31:40 AM »
Welcome Mark!great to have you with us and looking forward to seeing you out at Evergreen
Nick
"Welcome to Cloud City!A safe place to hide from the Empire...."

"..Unless of course I turn you in!"

Offline Terrys

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 09:56:20 AM »
Welcome Mark

Thanks for showing up to the evergreen museum event. That was a really good one to see.

Offline Pod racer

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2015, 01:23:21 PM »
This update is long overdue! It has been three years since I first posted, wow!

I am finally working on my costume, with the hopes of a quick build time. It is a white armor biker scout. I have the helmet, armor, gloves, and the flight suit. Still need to source or build boots and a blaster.

I have made progress on my daughter. She now has an ewok costume supposedly made by a movie prop designer. As long as she stops growing, she and I plan to troop together going forward in our costumes. She understands charity events for children, and wants to participate in them. Either that, or she just wants to chase me around with a spear on Endor.
Biker Scout (TB-19161)

Offline carpe mindiem

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2015, 01:47:46 PM »
Awesome, Mark! Looking forward to having another Biker Scout in the garrison.

Offline NavySith

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2015, 01:55:15 PM »
Welcome

Scott
CT/SL/TK/AR-6754

Offline sitpadeshu

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2015, 04:05:06 PM »
Welcome!  It will be fun to see you and your daughter together. :)
ID/TA-41414

Tags: