Author Topic: New to the forum and have costume questions!  (Read 2487 times)

Offline CT-1313

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
New to the forum and have costume questions!
« on: September 24, 2013, 05:51:19 PM »
Hi everyone. I am a long time Star Wars obsessor and an artist, who recently got into cosplay. Being a huge fan of Star Wars since I was very young, and a collector of all things Star Wars, my dream cosplay has always been to be a character from my favorite movies. My one problem with making this dream come true is money. I don't have a whole lot to spend. Everywhere I look it seems to be super expensive to pick up anything armor related on ebay and stuff like that. So, I figured joining a 501st forum for my state might be a good way to talk to others who could help me achieve my dream. I've always loved the 501st and would love to be a part of what they do. The requirements from what I've seen is only to be 18 (I will be next month), and to have an approved costume. Some costumes I have considered are a Shadow Trooper, Darth Vader, or Boba Fett. The character I want to be most is Boba Fett, but from what I've read it is one of the most complicated ones to achieve. I don't want to let money or complicated details get in the way of achieving something I've always wanted. So please, offer your tips or anything else you have to say.

Thanks  :D

Offline greedo

Re: New to the forum and have costume questions!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 06:12:42 PM »
Welcome to the group! 

My advice is to come out and be a "spotter" at our events to start out.  This will give you a front row seat to see the costumes, meet the members and then pick their brain about their costumes.

Second bit of advice is to start saving money.  I did most of my Boba myself and still ended up spending close to 3K.  And a low end vader is a bit more . 

But don't let that keep you from  your goal... Come on out and get started

Chris
F**K you Photobucket!

Offline greedo

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 06:15:57 PM »
Oh...... One more thing.

Don't do anything 501st costume wise on eBay. 
F**K you Photobucket!

Offline Leia8674

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 06:19:09 PM »
Welcome!!!  Great Suggestion to come an be a spotter & learn the "ways of the force"!   Cost is going to be a factor, but it is something you can work on, it doesn't have to happen overnight(and usually doesn't)

Cheers!

Macy
aka Leia's & Juno
Macy

Offline MissyThing

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 08:39:33 PM »
Yes, please keep an eye on the Spotter Check In thread and come out to an event to meet everyone and have a chance to ask questions.
Jedi Missy

Offline CT-1313

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 01:24:05 AM »
Thanks everyone for the advice. I will definitely look into becoming a spotter. I t would be a great way to meet other members.  :D

Offline TurboCam92

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 09:58:23 AM »
Welcome! I jumped in right when I was 18 as well, and I was in the same boat (funds-wise). As everyone said before, come to the spotter events until you get things started (and even after). That way you get to meet people who have the costume you want or know some tips and tricks. Also, sign up for the secondary forum for the costume you want (they're all found on the 501st website). That way you can get a feel for the true costs of things and see how other people are building your costume. Third, spend your free time doing research. If you're doing an established character like Fett or Vader, the CRL's are pretty well established, but compile a folder of bookmarks of resources and retail sources so you don't have to go hunting for them later. It took me about 3 years to get my scout done, but it was totally worth it. Don't get discouraged, stay the course, and you should do fine. :wink:

Offline CT-1313

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 12:47:20 AM »
Thanks a lot  :D I will look in to all those things! I WILL BE BOBA FETT IF I DIE TRYING  :P

Tags: