Author Topic: Looking to pick the brains of a Tree Dodger or ten.  (Read 3125 times)

Offline Bowfanny

• Mando Mercs
  • If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a tree!
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Looking to pick the brains of a Tree Dodger or ten.
« on: November 13, 2015, 08:32:51 PM »
Hello all,
Semi new guy here, I've been lurking for a while but haven't really posted much since I'm mostly active doing that other Star Wars group as a Mandalorian. But I digress. I'm looking to gain as much information from my local Garrison Scout Troopers as I can humanly fit into my brain box. I have a helmet on the way from Spike over on BSN and am tinkering with a (non approvable) base set of armor until I can afford a set from SC. Now so far I have acquired most of the materials for the boots, the cumberbund and pouches, and the vest. Pretty much what I don't have is the information that you guys have in your heads from your own experiences... That and gloves and the blaster. I am aware that a Ppepakura set of armor isn't going to be screen accurate but it'll keep me busy while I sell some Mando stuff to pay for the Scout build. Thanks for looking and I look forward to meet and converse with as many of you as I can.
Rob.
Dodge it don't hug it!
Bowfanny

Offline Jabbasdead

Re: Looking to pick the brains of a Tree Dodger or ten.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 10:54:08 AM »
What kind of info are you looking for? The boot tutorial and CB pattern are posted in the links at BSN. As are the pouches. Boots do not take long to make but waiting for the glue to dry between steps can take a while in this weather.  As for pep armor, nobody has said it can't be approved. Armor brands do not get approved, what it looks like and how you wear it does.

Offline Bowfanny

• Mando Mercs
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 05:29:22 PM »
What kind of info are you looking for? The boot tutorial and CB pattern are posted in the links at BSN. As are the pouches. Boots do not take long to make but waiting for the glue to dry between steps can take a while in this weather.  As for pep armor, nobody has said it can't be approved. Armor brands do not get approved, what it looks like and how you wear it does.
Thank you for your response! I'm looking more to find as much knowledge that can be dropped on me as a person or many persons can give me about scouts and the armor as I can get my grubby monster paws on and am scouring BSN like crazy because information is powerful.
Are there any little tidbits on information that you might have that will assist me or direct me in a way for me to optimize my build? What should I avoid doing or not doing while building? Are there actually new Scout CRLs like I am hearing rumor about or should I build based off the ones that are currently posted around the 501st and linked from BSN? How many Scouts are there in our Garrison currently?
Dodge it don't hug it!
Bowfanny

Offline MetalJedi

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 11:54:49 PM »
We currently have five scouts listed on the roster. I know two tend to be a little bit more active.

I have not heard about anyone building a scout recently, but someone might be working on one.

Your best bet for answers to specific questions is probably through the detachment website at www.bikerscout.net. If you have not signed up over there already, then that would be the place to start.
Harry - TK/TB 6472

Offline Bowfanny

• Mando Mercs
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 12:17:08 PM »
We currently have five scouts listed on the roster. I know two tend to be a little bit more active.

I have not heard about anyone building a scout recently, but someone might be working on one.

Your best bet for answers to specific questions is probably through the detachment website at www.bikerscout.net. If you have not signed up over there already, then that would be the place to start.
Thank you and I'm currently rummaging through all of the information over there that I can and the Scouts over there are extremely helpful. I'd say I am about 1/3 of the way ahead with collecting the stuff needed to have something wearable by maybe June of 2016. I have a dark blue dickies coverall that I am considering doing a black dye job on to see if it'll take otherwise I'll be either making or buying a two piece black suit. I'm pretty good with a sewing machine so garment construction isn't anything special to me. If I go that route though would black duck cloth be advisable for the undersuit or a heavy cotton broadcloth in black? So far I've ordered the Altman's Helmet, three black balaclavas that should cover neck and chin and pretty much the rest of my noggin, I've got a set of wampa wear gloves on order, the vinyl, Velcro, and E6000 and my donor brahma's for my boots, one of the guys over on BSN was selling a set of knees and a holster so my boots should get finished with no problem. I also have the duck cloth, Velcro and batting for the cummerbund I'm just missing the elastic for the under/between the legs bit. I have the heavy duty cotton material for the vest(enough for two vests actually). Other than that I am working on the card stock armor for my temporary set and I priced all of the detail parts with WTF over on Facebook for the greeblies. I just need the eyes and hands of an experienced Scout to tell me I'm doing it wrong or right and how and what direction that so should be headed! Again thanks for the heads up I really appreciate the assistance. If I can get this stuff going in the right direction I know of three others in the area that are also willing to get moving on their builds, I am just a little faster than them on collecting my gear. Thanks all!
Dodge it don't hug it!
Bowfanny

Offline Jabbasdead

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 08:57:31 PM »
One problem I have seen doing a scout, or armor in general by pieces, getting color to match is hard without painting. Over the last 10 years I have had SC, KS, and my own custom pieces and the material looks different when compared next to each other. ABS, sintra (can't remember actual name, kind of a PVC) have different shades of white. This is why I said that it's more of the look, then the brand, that gets you into the 501st. You will want to work at the current CRL's, because that is what you will be judged by. If you think it will be a year from now, then you might consider following up on some of the rumors. Generally, the 501st has a "grandfather clause." Once you are approved, you generally do not have to keep upgrading every time some "new" is found out about a kit. But it is nice to stay current if you can. Post pictures of what you have, when you have them, and the group is pretty good about answering questions.

Offline Bowfanny

• Mando Mercs
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 10:46:33 PM »
I appreciate the input Jabbasdead, With my first compilation of armor stuff I'm doing the Pepakura with resin and fiberglass and lots of sanding then painting all parts when I am thoroughly happy with the turnout. I'm quite patient with making the pep look as smooth as I can sand it down before adding more bondo and sanding again. This helmet started as a Pepakura helmet and took me six months to smooth out properly. I plan on being just as meticulous with my scout armor.

I'll be making a Pepakura scout helmet as well but that's more for having a project to do than anything since my only forms of entertainment are obsessing over Star Wars(costume building) and reading about Star Wars (and costume making) since out where I live there is no such thing as TV signal and that satellite stuff is too expensive.

I will do my best to meet the highest of costuming standards that I can in order to maintain the look of authenticity that has been slowly achieved by the 501st and as I do plan to make it to the highest tier possible for a scout build and Eventually Lancer over on BSN.  Again thank you for your comments and hope to learn more from everyone!
Dodge it don't hug it!
Bowfanny

Offline Jabbasdead

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2015, 09:39:59 AM »
If your ever in the Corvallis area, stop by and we can talk shop.

Offline Bowfanny

• Mando Mercs
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2015, 10:59:05 AM »
If your ever in the Corvallis area, stop by and we can talk shop.
I work In Lebanon so I'm usually close by. ;D
Dodge it don't hug it!
Bowfanny

Offline TurboCam92

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 03:23:48 PM »
Hey there! I'm one of the afore-mentioned "more active scouts." I think Nick informed me about your progress a few days ago. We actually have a Facebook message thread going between us two and two other scouts-in-progress, with a lot of real-time progress/ tips & tricks. We'll find a way to get you in on that.  :D

Offline Bowfanny

• Mando Mercs
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2015, 03:27:39 PM »
Hey there! I'm one of the afore-mentioned "more active scouts." I think Nick informed me about your progress a few days ago. We actually have a Facebook message thread going between us two and two other scouts-in-progress, with a lot of real-time progress/ tips & tricks. We'll find a way to get you in on that.  :D
I roped Nick into a big group chat of five of us wanting to build scouts
Dodge it don't hug it!
Bowfanny

Tags: