Author Topic: Starting a club at Portland Community College?  (Read 2554 times)

Offline TK2088

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Starting a club at Portland Community College?
« on: May 05, 2014, 03:35:45 PM »
I was wondering if their was any interest on starting a club at Portland Community College Cascade Campus, I am just starting to get into searching for a kit, etc. I figured it may be a good way to tap into the population and find out more ways to troop and benefit the community. I am currently a student at PCC so I would be able to start the club if I had enough student interest. We could potentially use club funds to get tools, resources, etc for the group to use I would have to look into legalities of non students being involved with clubs but I don't believe that is an issue.

Offline maxsteele

Re: Starting a club at Portland Community College?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 05:10:15 PM »
I'm still a pending member here, but I think a response to this would be - we already have one?  It's Cloud City Garrison / Kashyyyk Base.  If people at PCC Cascade Campus are interested in joining a Star Wars group, here it is!  Join up!

Offline TK2088

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 05:17:52 PM »
It would be a good recruiting duty station for the members who are PCC Students and maybe on the line of joining or don't know how, etc. It would be a great place to do advertising for events and charities and I talked to the club coordinator on campus already and if we did purchase any sorts of tools, paints, etc for the club non students could come and participate/utilize the resources they just need to stay on campus in the resources area. So it could be a great opportunity to have more then 1 build party a year and possibly even a more central location to do one at? I think this provides an amazing opportunity.

Offline Blue Leader

• Rebel Legion member
  • Ace Pilot
    • Blue Leader's Universe
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 08:03:59 PM »
I think you'd probably be better of just forming a regular old Star Wars club, not necessarily a Star Wars costuming club. You may have some problems with the costuming aspect of it.

I wish PSU had a Star Wars club...
B-wing Pilot - Jedi[/center]

Offline TurboCam92

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 02:06:20 PM »
I think the chances of starting a CCG/KB club at PCC are going to be slim to none. There's a lot of tape that would have to be worked through with CCG/KB, the 501st, and Disney/Lucasfilm. Like it was previously stated, you would certainly be better off starting a Star Wars club or cosplay club, and then mention the various costuming communities/charity organizations in the area (i.e. the Browncoats, Superhero Alliance, CCG/KB, etc.).

Offline TurboCam92

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 02:43:52 PM »
Other things to think about (if you were going to make it a CCG/KB-specific club) are: How many people know about the 501st? For such an expansive organization, the 501st is not very well known amongst the "common-folk". How many would be willing to stick with it? I know that once people hear approximate costs as to how much the costumes can cost, they tend to motor pretty fast (especially on a student's budget). It's also a lot of time and effort that students may not be willing to put in or have time to put in. It's certainly not impossible, as several of us are students at Portland State (and other institutions). I started my kit while I was at PCC, but it took a long time to finish (close to 3 years). However, it is more than rewarding (and super fun :lol:).
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 02:45:49 PM by TurboCam92 »

Offline TK2088

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 03:21:22 PM »
I value the opionions brought up and I have decided to do a cosplay or costuming group and ill keep everyone updated on any supplies or what not available, I know pcc sylvania has a 3d printer.

Offline TurboCam92

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 03:29:54 PM »

Tags: