Author Topic: WIP ARC Trooper (TCW) (Phase 1): Echo  (Read 5647 times)

Offline TrooperTim1138

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Re: WIP ARC Trooper (TCW) (Phase 1): Echo
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2018, 12:19:49 PM »
3/4/18 Shopping! Yesterday I hit Home Depot for a few items. I wanted to make sure the bondo and the primer I picked up are OK?

Then on to the work on the helmet itself. I used the drill bit to "cut" between the holes I drilled around the edge of the visor (not recommended) and although I was able to preserve the outside face of the helmet, I believe I mangled the inside face a bit where the visor would actually be flush with the inside opening. This became even more apparent when sanding the edge of the visor area and the teeth. I assume it's quite important for this inside face to be smooth so it's flush with the visor when it's installed so as to create a clean line against the visor. There seems to be quite a variation in thickness around the visor area.

After removing the major areas left at the edge with the sanding drum on my dremel, I did the sanding mostly with 180 grit sand paper wrapped around short flat paint sticks.. The corners and teeth holes were all done with the needle files. It was helpful to have a variety of sizes and shapes. My plan is to sand the inside of the helmet around the edges of the openings to get a uniform thickness and repair the inside edge with bondo and re-sand (once the this first set of sanding is done).

In thinking about using bondo for the first time on this project I was wondering if it would be a good idea to fill the cavity created by the fin on the dome with bondo to strengthen it?
Tim Hadley- Future Clone (ARC Trooper Echo)

Offline TrooperTim1138

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2018, 01:29:14 PM »
3/6/18 I think I may have figured out why part of my inside edges seemed so mangled around the visor area. On the inside the material actually flares up near the edges. I am not sure what the correct solution would be to correct this. One option would be to fill the low areas up to the flared edges and then sand out.  The next would be to sand off the flared edges making the areas around the visor all the same thickness. I am not sure! The picture here doesn't do the best job of showing the flared edge I am talking about.

Offline TrooperTim1138

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2018, 08:15:15 PM »
Throwing some bondo at this project is next on my list! Going to wash all the dust off the helmet tonight. Might not get to the bondo until next week, my respirator is elsewhere and I need to be able to let it sit in well ventilated area even after the sanding is done (not in my apartment). While I was thinking about bondo I noticed a small hole where I could see daylight peeking through in the right ear cap where the RF would attach. The material is thin there and I would be afraid that the weight of RF would break the surrounding material. I am guessing I should build up the area on the inside with bondo so it's a little more solid before I drill the hole for the RF so the washer and the RF mount have something more solid to grab onto? I thought at first the whole circular area there was meant to be cut out.

Offline TrooperTim1138

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2018, 09:47:30 AM »
Quick update- I've decided to just get this thing done! After getting Celebration tickets I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to set a deadline. I have laid out a schedule to get my ARC done before Celebration Chicago. Every other Saturday is "ARC Trooper Build Day." I have no work space in my apartment so all work will be armor parties and occupied friend's garages. (Until I move into a house) This has been my primary barrier to getting work done- I can't just work on it a little each day because I'd have to pack everything up every day and take it somewhere. Ordered the kit from KW. Should be here within 3 weeks. Will post pics and progress here on a biweekly basis. Every other Saturday is "ARC Trooper Build Day." Going to get work done on the bucket this weekend. ?

Offline NavySith

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2018, 05:26:45 PM »
Awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott
CT/SL/TK/AR-6754

Offline MissyThing

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2018, 09:28:09 PM »
Nice!! Celebration is a great goal!

Sent from the Jedi Temple
Jedi Missy

Offline carpe mindiem

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2018, 09:54:19 PM »
Awesome! It's always good to have a deadline. Looking forward to seeing this come together for you!

Offline nukem25rs

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2018, 08:48:18 PM »
nice!! gonna be so many arc troopers!! cant wait to see the progress.. maybe one weekend this summer ill try and have a few people over and we can focus on some armor..
Mike Kraemer
TK/AR-71508
Centurion 285
Whitearmor.net user- NUKEM25RS
R2-Q5  Astromech.net user Nukem25rs
ARC Trooper Havoc
501stClonetroopers.com User Nukem25rs

Hikuro1983

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2018, 09:08:25 PM »
So if you're gonna try and bring this suit over to the build party (if I understood that right) it'd be good timing. I was planning on helping Chris with his clone armor and to get it done a little faster. If you want, I can give you a hand with yours as I'm also intending on bringing my RC Boss to get a few things tweaked and secured better. I'd be happy to help a brother out.

Offline TrooperTim1138

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2018, 10:42:43 PM »
So if you're gonna try and bring this suit over to the build party (if I understood that right) it'd be good timing. I was planning on helping Chris with his clone armor and to get it done a little faster. If you want, I can give you a hand with yours as I'm also intending on bringing my RC Boss to get a few things tweaked and secured better. I'd be happy to help a brother out.
I am for sure going to bring my bucket for bondo/sanding fun. I am not sure if my BBB will have arrived by this date but if so... I will! I would love a hand with anything, or even just advice as this is my first project of this sort. Looking forward to meeting you all!

Offline TrooperTim1138

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2018, 10:43:36 PM »
nice!! gonna be so many arc troopers!! cant wait to see the progress.. maybe one weekend this summer ill try and have a few people over and we can focus on some armor..
Yes please!

Offline TrooperTim1138

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2018, 04:05:54 PM »
BBB's Day! No time to open, work and stuff!
Also got replacement flex shaft for my Dremel, 2 visors for the helmet, rare earth magnets.

Offline nukem25rs

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2018, 04:47:41 PM »
Awesome! Your hands are gonna be so sore from trimming soon!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Mike Kraemer
TK/AR-71508
Centurion 285
Whitearmor.net user- NUKEM25RS
R2-Q5  Astromech.net user Nukem25rs
ARC Trooper Havoc
501stClonetroopers.com User Nukem25rs

Offline NavySith

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2018, 06:31:02 PM »
Awesome, Mike is correct but worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott
CT/SL/TK/AR-6754

Offline TrooperTim1138

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2018, 02:20:46 PM »
I have given up my original idea of creating the shoes and went ahead and ordered animated clone boots from Crowprops. Made arrangements to have someone put together an ARC backpack for me. Planning to order ARC kama from a supplier on the Clone Trooper Detachment forums.

All pieces from the KW phase 1 clone and ARC kits unloaded and wiped down (per the included instructions) with rubbing alcohol. After going through all the pieces and verifying every was there (with the included checklists), I realized that I forgot to order the suspenders and strapping kit that KW offers. I sent him an e-mail but I am pretty sure he's taking a break, his facebook page stated that the next items won't be shipping out until August.... but I have a sarlacc pit's worth of work to do before I will need the strapping so that's ok.

I also took the time to re-watch the assembly videos on http://imperialsurplus.com/index.html to get a better context on things now that I have in hand the pieces I will be working on. Did some rough trimming on the cod, butt, chest, back, ab, kidney and ARC chest. I will definitely need to shim the chest/back, cod/butt and ab/kidney pieces.  I taped the cod/butt together and could fit it around my waist after leaving one side open to get it on, could get it closed but was pretty snug around my waist and I know the ab/kidney places are supposed to fit inside the cod/butt section... so shimming will happen! (After I figure out how to do such things!)*

On my list of things to pick up at the hardware store: new work gloves. The ones I have are great for light work but that utility knife scares me. Need something with a little thicker leather on the fingers. Would take just one slip of that knife to shut down this project for an extended amount of time (and I would never hear the end of it from my wife!) After working with the material, trimming with my utility knife and after watching the videos I learned that I don't really need to cut fully through the material- just need to score it and bend. Trimming is much cleaner and work goes much faster. I am keeping all the trimmings in a box incase  I get super crazy and want to make sludge:

Tomorrow I am going to an armor party and in the process of figuring out how I am going to get everything there I found the missing piece for the flex shaft on my dremel. Now I have an extra un-opened dremel flex shaft. I am still not decided on what cargo box I want for this kit once it's all done. Now I am packed up and ready for the party tomorrow!

Tags: