Author Topic: Webiste idea  (Read 5792 times)

JadesFire

Webiste idea
« on: November 13, 2007, 10:43:57 AM »
I had a thought and didn't know if this would be worth pursuing, but thought I would throw it out and see what people think.
What if Cloud city made a members only section with tutorials?
I know that some people catalog  their various projects with pictures and "this is how I did it" information... what if we condensed that into something that members could look at and use for future projects? I say members only because I am not sure how the rules work on tutorials, since I know we cannot put up locations to buy things and whatnot.

I am thinking of doing a neckseal tutorial if my project turns out well, and thought it would be fun to post it since there is only one or two out there right now. It might be something that would help all members of the 501st... and once a tutorial is completed you don't have to upkeep it unless you find another way to do something... am I making sense? lol Anyways let me know what you think. I would be willing to help set it up, time permitting, and we wouldn't have to launch it anytime soon so it could be a neat project for those so inclined.

Jade out

Offline tavrikgannon

• The "International" 48 Hours of Bill
  • Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Re: Webiste idea
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 11:23:55 AM »
I think it is an excellent idea. Of course it would mean more work for the web guy(s). But I don't think it necessarily would need to be in a Members Only section, not like a members phone directory (if we had one). On our main page there is a link: Props and Mods, I can't see why something like that couldn't be added to that page.... other than the work the web guy(s) would have to put in.

As far as the concern regarding locations to buy things, locations like Wal-Mart or the like are fine. It is unauthorized dealers whom we can't mention specifically on an open forum. Mentioning that you found a great deal in Wal-Mart's fabric section, for example,  for the neckseal project is perfectly fine.

Who knows, maybe I when I tinker around making my DLT-20a, I'll do some sort of tutorial as well.

- Bill
"In for a micron, in for a meter. No one makes a victim of folks I'm sworn to protect."

- Corran Horn

JadesFire

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 11:25:54 AM »
I'm certainly willing to help with the site if it's needed... especially once I get moved since my roomate has some really good software and experience in making things look good (she's a graphic designer lol) She just doesn't know it yet but Ima steal her laptop MUAHAHA

Offline Cooter Davis

• TI-7852
  • Cloud City Retired
  • Taking a Nap.
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 12:11:38 PM »
If needs be I can host em, off of cloud city, like at a Geocities website.
Is a Ka no Kata, with a Zenpo Gari, from the Hoko No Kami position an acceptable defense against a zombie attack?

Offline grumpydevil

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 12:29:52 PM »
Why not post these as separate threads that can be stickied in the public armor section?

-Kyle
"The EVO troopers were one of the Empire's most specialized stormtroopers."

Offline tavrikgannon

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 12:46:17 PM »
Oh sure... take the easy way out!  :P

But seriously, we have a Props and Mods section. It has a few things on it. Why not add to it? We know that the Midwest Garrison has (or had) an excellent tutorial for the officer uniforms. Not to say that we should be copy-cat or anything, but I think it would be one more addition to our little corner of the 501st that could set us apart. Yeah, we got the tutorials for armor mods, helmet cutouts, wiring info and adjustable straps. I think those members who perfect other avenues of prop making and/or modifications could be an asset to our brothers and sisters out there by producing tutorials to put on the site. Just my own two credits worth...

- Bill

« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 12:57:47 PM by tavrikgannon »
"In for a micron, in for a meter. No one makes a victim of folks I'm sworn to protect."

- Corran Horn

Offline Volund Starfire

• Kashyyyk Base Member
  • Worst Day-Shift Manager Ever
  • Awards Trooped 10+ times
    • Jason's Facebook Page
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 12:58:56 PM »
I've already begun a "how-to" with my pistol (including a price-guide).  I love the idea... however, the member's only part may be my downfall until I get accepted.

Offline tavrikgannon

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 01:03:51 PM »
That's why I advocate putting in a general section. Let it be good knowledge for anyone wanting to do that specific project. Why limit it to people who are members only? Call me crazy, but it smacks of elitism.... something that I detest.

- Bill

- Corran Horn

Offline grumpydevil

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 01:36:42 PM »
That's why I advocate putting in a general section. Let it be good knowledge for anyone wanting to do that specific project. Why limit it to people who are members only? Call me crazy, but it smacks of elitism.... something that I detest.

- Bill

That's why I said public armor section....see?
Why not post these as separate threads that can be stickied in the public armor section?
  :?

JadesFire

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 01:39:03 PM »
Lol enough with the 501st only vs public... I only stuck that in there because I wasn't sure of the rules... if there is no problem I think the tutorials should definitely be public!

Throwing them int he sticky section would be fine for one or two, but what if we end up having many? (Not saying we will but it's a thought ;) )

I know I am going to make one for the neck seal, and probably when I get my kit I'm going to post progress on shaping the armor for shorter people... obviously we have memebrs and friends who have had to do this but I think it would be a fun project to tackle (both tutorial and building my set :D)

Offline tavrikgannon

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 01:50:04 PM »

- Bill

That's why I said public armor section....see?
  :?

Was I disagreeing with that you were saying???? Nooooooooooooooooooo.  :D
The point I was making is that we do have a Props and Mods section on the site, why not expand on it. That's all.....   :roll:

- Bill

- Corran Horn

Offline xrayman

• Cloud City Retired
    • Skullworx.com
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2007, 08:53:47 AM »
The entire site is being revamped right now, and may or may not keep the mods/props section.

I actually like the idea of self service for mods / props in the public armor area of the forum because it allows others to contribute easily and takes some load off of the admin team.

Scot
TK5108 (retired)

Offline tavrikgannon

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2007, 10:58:02 AM »
Well there is that. And that is a very valid point. But I find that when I am looking up tutorials for props or whatever, that if it is on a message board forum and I am having to sift through posts to get all the info that I need, I get turned off. I will go look elsewhere. While it is easier for everyone to post a tutorial in a thread, to me it seems more professional and clean looking if it is uploaded onto a website page.

Just my two credit's worth.

- Bill

- Corran Horn

Offline xrayman

• Cloud City Retired
    • Skullworx.com
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2007, 09:41:20 PM »
Duly noted, Bill!  Thanks for the input - you also have a valid point.

Would locking a tutorial thread and removing comment posts make it easier in your opinion?  (That's what I'd do as an admin. to keep it more organized and clean)
Scot
TK5108 (retired)

Offline grumpydevil

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2007, 11:13:41 PM »
What about sticky threads?

Tags: