Author Topic: Garrison Picnic  (Read 20806 times)

Offline Jabbasdead

Re: Garrison Picnic
« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2009, 02:09:05 PM »
Is Memorial Park big enough that we could go to a different part of the park with our own Shelters and portable BBQ's? An elementary school would work if we had our own shelters, if they have a playground.

Offline OldTonyKenobi

• Kashyyyk Base Member
  • I'm Old Ben before he lost all the weight. haha
  • Awards Trooped 25+ times
    • tonys kingdom of comics
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: July 24, 2009, 01:30:32 PM »
OK, so I went to the City of Wilsonville's website to get some info:
http://www.ci.wilsonville.or.us/Index.aspx?page=174

Based on what I can see on this schedule:
http://activenet6.active.com/cityofwilsonville/?redir=1,

I'm not sure whether the blank days mean that there is no availability on those days, or if the dates with times posted mean that the spot is available for the listed times, or if its been reserved already for the posted times.  I left a voicemail with the parks folks to clarify.  My guess is that the times posted mean that the spots are already reserved for that slot, in which case is a bummer.....and it's back to the drawing board.  It would suck to have to go to Salem, as I would rather walk down SE 82nd Avenue at night if given the choice, but that's just my opinion. I guess every town and city has it's good and bad neighborhoods though, and I shouldn't be so judgmental...
  yeah, every town has its good :D and bad :evil: areas. there isnt anywhere in salem/keizer i would be worried about in the daytime, i cant say the same for portland.n keizer and s salem are GOOD, SAFE areas anytime though. thats one of the main reasons ive raised my kids and opened a shop in keizer :mrgreen:.
  there are several parks along the i-5 corridor between portland and salem. there are also a couple of great ones in keizer, which is only 30 min from downtown portland. im just throwing out options. im willing to go anywhere you all decide :mrgreen:..............old tony kenobi
"now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time"

Offline Jabbasdead

« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2009, 01:37:21 PM »
Tony, I'm willing to consider it.  Can you post some parks with any info that you have over there and we can add it to the list. I would like to get a poll up by sunday so we can pick a place by the 1st.

I might be up in your neck of the woods next week so maybe I can check out any suggestions..

Offline The Kreator

• 501st Legion Member
  • TK/SL-8992
    • TK-8992
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: July 24, 2009, 02:22:55 PM »
Willamette Mission State Park is just north of Keizer out towards the Willamette Ferry.  Might be a nice option.  http://www.stateparks.com/willamette_mission.html

And one of my favorite places is John Neal Memorial County Park out in Lyons.  It's a little ways east of Salem, so might be further than people from Portland may want to drive, but they do have a very nice reservable day-use covered group picnic area with bbqs and working sinks, nice bathrooms, and a large open field area.  Great place to camp too, right on the river.
http://www.co.linn.or.us/parks/parks/johnneal.html

Offline OldTonyKenobi

• Kashyyyk Base Member
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: July 24, 2009, 03:23:01 PM »
Willamette Mission State Park is just north of Keizer out towards the Willamette Ferry.  Might be a nice option.  http://www.stateparks.com/willamette_mission.html

thanks david. willamette mission was one of the parks i was talking about. it has everything and its huge. there is a day use fee of $3 (per car?), plus at least $61 for a covered area.
http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_139.php

another one is Spongs Landing in keizer. it also has everything, and its right on the willamette river for swimming :shock: (i just throw my dog in). there is one of the 2 covered areas open on the 15th for $75 with no other fees.
http://www.co.marion.or.us/PW/Parks/descriptions/spongslanding.htm

and there is champooing park by newberg. it has 10 reservable covered areas for a fee plus a $3 day use fee.
http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_113.php

but more importantly, wherever we go, we just GOTTA have a horseshoe tournament :mrgreen:................old tony kenobi

Offline jasond011

• 501st Legion Member
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: July 24, 2009, 03:39:26 PM »
No word back from City of Wilsonville.  I think it's safe to assume that Memorial Park is booked,  won't be an option.  Looks like we're just better off showing up at some park in either Portland or down south early and just stakin' a couple tents into place.  There is a Spray Park at the top of the hill in Oregon City that is HUGE, doesn't require reservations, has tennis courts and a playground.  Can't remember the name though....It might be RIVERCREST, but I'm not sure.  We went there for a birthday party out youngest boy was invited to and it's huge enough that we would have to worry about bumping elbows with anyone.

It's rad that there are so many looking into options for this year's picnic.  Oh, and sorry for my ingorance about the Salem area in general.  I've only been in that neck of the woods twice in my life, and I shouldn't make judgments based on a couple bad experiences.  I'm sure there are some cool areas in Keizer or South Salem.  I'd be happy to drive down if we wind up having the picnic there. 

So do we still have the same CCG banner from a few years ago, or do we need another? Once we get a place pinned down hopefully by the end of this weekend, should we probably proceed to an RSVP list/food/libation list maybe (if we can get a location finalized soon)?
Jason D. Shaw
IG/TB-1398

501st Legion

Offline Jabbasdead

« Reply #81 on: July 24, 2009, 03:52:48 PM »
Food and other supplies was next on the list of things to put out there. Will post something tomorrow.

Offline OldTonyKenobi

• Kashyyyk Base Member
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: July 24, 2009, 04:00:03 PM »
 Oh, and sorry for my ingorance about the Salem area in general.  I've only been in that neck of the woods twice in my life, and I shouldn't make judgments based on a couple bad experiences.  I'm sure there are some cool areas in Keizer or South Salem.  I'd be happy to drive down if we wind up having the picnic there. 

no worries Jason, you just gotta come down here and troop a couple of my events. :mrgreen:. there ARE several areas in salem/keizer i wouldnt walk around after 11:00 without my "little friend" :twisted:

do we want to find a spot COMPLETELY free, or with a "day use" fee or split the "reserve" fees?.............old tony kenobi

Offline The Kreator

• 501st Legion Member
  • TK/SL-8992
    • TK-8992
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2009, 04:26:48 PM »
Yeah, Champoeg is a nice park too, and a bit further north so it's not such a drive for those coming down from Portland.

I'm certainly up for chipping in for a day-use fee if there is one for whatever location is selected.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 04:32:43 PM by The Kreator »

Offline Jabbasdead

« Reply #84 on: July 24, 2009, 04:30:24 PM »
I don't mind fee's because you know you will have a spot.  I am not sure how CCG does donations to a fund, back at Golden Gate usually someone would just put it on a card and would collect as they went.  I know some of us have Paypal accounts.

Offline OldTonyKenobi

• Kashyyyk Base Member
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: July 24, 2009, 04:37:18 PM »
i, or someone else can pay the main fee, and just be repaid at the picnic?.............tony

Offline tavrikgannon

• The "International" 48 Hours of Bill
  • Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: July 27, 2009, 09:55:35 AM »
No word back from City of Wilsonville.  I think it's safe to assume that Memorial Park is booked,  won't be an option.  Looks like we're just better off showing up at some park in either Portland or down south early and just stakin' a couple tents into place.  There is a Spray Park at the top of the hill in Oregon City that is HUGE, doesn't require reservations, has tennis courts and a playground.  Can't remember the name though....It might be RIVERCREST, but I'm not sure.  We went there for a birthday party out youngest boy was invited to and it's huge enough that we would have to worry about bumping elbows with anyone.

It's rad that there are so many looking into options for this year's picnic.  Oh, and sorry for my ingorance about the Salem area in general.  I've only been in that neck of the woods twice in my life, and I shouldn't make judgments based on a couple bad experiences.  I'm sure there are some cool areas in Keizer or South Salem.  I'd be happy to drive down if we wind up having the picnic there. 

So do we still have the same CCG banner from a few years ago, or do we need another? Once we get a place pinned down hopefully by the end of this weekend, should we probably proceed to an RSVP list/food/libation list maybe (if we can get a location finalized soon)?

I think I know the one you are referring to, Jason... Hillendale Park (on Clairmont Way)??? That is the one I am thinking of that had the basketball/tennis courts. They also have a volleyball area near the covered spot.

- Bill
"In for a micron, in for a meter. No one makes a victim of folks I'm sworn to protect."

- Corran Horn

Offline Aysel

« Reply #87 on: July 29, 2009, 09:29:36 AM »
considering I can't post in the announcement section I'll just say it here, I'll be bring steaks for my crew of folks and possibly some macaroni salad or something like that....and I don't care about which park it is, I don't know the parks in the area at all....

Offline Jabbasdead

« Reply #88 on: July 29, 2009, 01:10:03 PM »
considering I can't post in the announcement section I'll just say it here, I'll be bring steaks for my crew of folks and possibly some macaroni salad or something like that....and I don't care about which park it is, I don't know the parks in the area at all....

I will try to cross reference the people from this post to the other. Aysel, you can post on this thread:http://www.cloudcitygarrison.com/forum/index.php?topic=4322.0.  If anyone else is having problems can they let me know so I can add to list.

Offline Aysel

« Reply #89 on: July 29, 2009, 07:56:49 PM »
I haven't ever been able to post in the announcement section of the forums, it's not in my board permissions.

Tags: