Author Topic: Garrison Picnic  (Read 20810 times)

Offline Quick2

• Cloud City Member
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Re: Garrison Picnic
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2009, 12:02:54 PM »
Lets find a Park that is not a confusing mess to find for folks who do not know Portland. something off I-5 or very easy to get to without getting lost.  Thanks.
Allan Quick

Offline tavrikgannon

• The "International" 48 Hours of Bill
  • Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2009, 12:17:45 PM »
Hey Allan, remember how much of a difficult time we had last year? It was late in the game and finding a location that suits everyone is the million dollar task, right there.

Not trying to be a negative nelly, here, but based on the experience from last year, we couldn't secure any place because the preferred parks were already reserved or the cost was higher than anyone was willing to pay. Hence, that is why we went to a freebie park like Council Crest.

I suppose we could go to any park and provide our own shelters and bbq's. Realistically, that is what the reservations are paying for - the use of those amenities.

Are you just looking in Portland only, or have you checked out the outlying communities, as well? There is Canby, Tigard, Tualatin, Oregon City, West Linn, and Wilsonville, just to name a few other cities that have great parks.

- Bill
"In for a micron, in for a meter. No one makes a victim of folks I'm sworn to protect."

- Corran Horn

Offline Jabbasdead

« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2009, 12:39:08 PM »
Lets find a Park that is not a confusing mess to find for folks who do not know Portland. something off I-5 or very easy to get to without getting lost.  Thanks.

I like this idea, I figure I probably have the farthest to travel so my thinking is something easy to find and has plenty of parking. 

darkerlight

« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2009, 10:53:02 AM »
If you decide to look in Wilsonville, The Korean memorial park next to Fry's doesn't get as crowded from other events as the larger park does but it also doesn't have a shelter.

George Rogers park and George Rogers beach in Lake Oswego are pretty easy to get to in Lake Oswego, have a shelter and lots of open space.

Offline grumpydevil

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2009, 02:08:20 PM »
I just got off the phone to check on a few parks. Willamette and Overlook are both booked for that weekend. Page 2 of this PDF has all of the Portland parks & rec locations for picnics:
http://www.portlandonline.com/parks/index.cfm?a=93270&c=38301

I think at this point, finding something that is super simple to get to off of the highway might be a little difficult. :?

-Kyle

"The EVO troopers were one of the Empire's most specialized stormtroopers."

Offline Jabbasdead

« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2009, 02:15:24 PM »
I just got off the phone to check on a few parks. Willamette and Overlook are both booked for that weekend. Page 2 of this PDF has all of the Portland parks & rec locations for picnics:
http://www.portlandonline.com/parks/index.cfm?a=93270&c=38301

I think at this point, finding something that is super simple to get to off of the highway might be a little difficult. :?

-Kyle

Thats okay, I have had to GPS my way around the last two times I was up anyways....

Offline Quick2

• Cloud City Member
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2009, 02:42:07 PM »
What is wrong with going to Wilsonville.. That is a good Idea.  Also Oregon City.. It does not have to be in Portland. so could someone check out those. I do like the Wilsonville .. next to Fry's?.. at Korean War memorial?.. ..Look into that Please.
Allan Quick

Offline OldTonyKenobi

• Kashyyyk Base Member
  • I'm Old Ben before he lost all the weight. haha
  • Awards Trooped 25+ times
    • tonys kingdom of comics
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2009, 03:12:37 PM »
if everyones open to it i can check some salem/Willamette valley parks................old tony kenobi
"now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time"

Offline Jabbasdead

« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2009, 03:26:29 PM »
What is wrong with going to Wilsonville.. That is a good Idea.  Also Oregon City.. It does not have to be in Portland. so could someone check out those. I do like the Wilsonville .. next to Fry's?.. at Korean War memorial?.. ..Look into that Please.

I am open to anything.....this is for the garrison.  Plus I miss going to Fry's since moving from California.  I would like to have a place picked out by the end of the month.

Offline Aysel

« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2009, 06:16:07 PM »
yea lets look at the laying areas.....might be able to find something if it's not Portland....

Offline Jabbasdead

« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2009, 06:59:33 PM »
What about Boones Ferry Park or Memorial Park in Wilsonville. They look to have many amenities like BBQ's and shelters.

Offline Hoot

« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2009, 07:14:54 PM »
What about Boones Ferry Park or Memorial Park in Wilsonville. They look to have many amenities like BBQ's and shelters.
I vote Memorial Park.
-Matthew

darkerlight

« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2009, 10:07:43 AM »
Memorial Park is a great place and a beautiful park, which also makes it very popular and croweded.  It would have to be reserved pretty much now if its still open, it gets reserved alot for baseball teams, company picnics (Wilsonville is a mostly business town ofter all), camps, etc.

Boone's Ferry park is a good option, I'd put it right up there with the Korean War Memorial Park.

I work in Wilsonville, does anyone from the boards live there? It might be easier (or less expensive) for a resident to reserve the park.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 10:13:55 AM by darkerlight »

Offline jasond011

• 501st Legion Member
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2009, 11:50:08 AM »
Memorial park in Wilsonville is nice and worth looking into for availability.  I can find out the necessary info today if someone hasnt already.  Salems gettin a little too far out in my opinion since tge majority of folks are in the Portland area.
Jason D. Shaw
IG/TB-1398

501st Legion

Offline jasond011

• 501st Legion Member
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: July 23, 2009, 01:57:33 PM »
OK, so I went to the City of Wilsonville's website to get some info:
http://www.ci.wilsonville.or.us/Index.aspx?page=174

Based on what I can see on this schedule:
http://activenet6.active.com/cityofwilsonville/?redir=1,

I'm not sure whether the blank days mean that there is no availability on those days, or if the dates with times posted mean that the spot is available for the listed times, or if its been reserved already for the posted times.  I left a voicemail with the parks folks to clarify.  My guess is that the times posted mean that the spots are already reserved for that slot, in which case is a bummer.....and it's back to the drawing board.  It would suck to have to go to Salem, as I would rather walk down SE 82nd Avenue at night if given the choice, but that's just my opinion. I guess every town and city has it's good and bad neighborhoods though, and I shouldn't be so judgmental...
Jason D. Shaw
IG/TB-1398

501st Legion

Tags: