Linked Events

• Barnes & Noble Eugene Event: March 22, 2008

Author Topic: MISSION COMPLETE: Barnes and Noble Book Store..Event.... Eugene..March 22, 2008  (Read 15051 times)

Offline Quick2

• Cloud City Member
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Ok ..This will be coming up in March...Please Lets make this a GOOD Showing for CCG.... There are other Events connected to this Barnes and Noble Book Store coming as well...  March 22nd.....They want to have us... Please Check it out in Member section for details...
Peace, Allan

Here is the Roster:

ROSTER

Allan--TK
Karyn--Princess Leia  ANH
Martin--clone comm. (sick)
Kyle--Clone Commander
Rick--Chewbacca
Patrick--Vader
Carlos--TK
Fawn--Jedi
Micheal White-- Snow Trooper
Paul--Clone or something darkside
Chris V. -Boba Fett or Clone
Jason (Volund Starfire)--Rebel Fleet Trooper
Aysel -- wife of Jason,--Spotter
Dave Hamm --TX

« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 06:26:31 PM by Quick2 »
Allan Quick

Offline FireStorm

• Cloud City Retired
  • Shoeless Duke Rufus!!
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
I am going to unlock this area and allow for communication.  The B&N guru, Andrew, would like to chat on here.  He is not a member, so we can have a discussion here and relay any other info from the private area back to this section.
FireStorm aka Martin Vavra
Mjolnir
"It's easy shooting Ewoks...you just don't lead them as much!"

Offline cmdr.keen

• My launch page
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Hello everyone!

I just left a meeting with five board members of a local volunteer library, the River Road/Santa Clara Volunteer Library (see here).  Great news: they are excited, to say the least, about the possibility of using the CCG's appearance at the bookstore as a way to raise both funds and awareness of their library.

There is a formal board meeting this evening where they will present the idea to the rest of the members, after which they will get a consensus on "yes" or "no"...though they're already planning activities for the day, so my feeling is that it is essentially a "yes".

We will use the Barnes & Noble Bookfair program to fundraise for the library.  In short, this is how the Bookfair will work:

In the time leading up to the Bookfair Day, the library promotes the event/Bookfair with flyers, press releases...anything they can think of to get the word out about CCG's trooping and the Bookfair.  Then, beginning on March 22 and for six days after, supporters who come in and shop will have a percentage of their purchase -- anything, from books, to CDs, to DVDs, even food in our Cafe -- contributed back to the library.  On the first day of the Bookfair, the library will have a presence in the bookstore, hosting a variety of storytimes and activities, hopefully with the participation of some of you CCG troops.

Speaking of activities: they want to use the day to highlight the library and its programs, as well as its needs.  They are in need of more recently-published books (current bestsellers, popular titles, etc.) as well as CD audiobooks.  They also need hardcover children's books.  What we'll do is compile a list and create a large in-store display of "Wish List" titles; attendees can purchase these books and donate them to the library, knowing all the while that a percentage of their purchase will also be contributed back to the library.  It's a win-win for the library!

This will be quite a large project, I won't deny that.  I'll be heavily promoting both the trooping and the Bookfair to local elementary schools (I already have one school's PTO who will help me promote to their kids) and there is a more-than-fair chance we will see hundreds of children here.  And that's not including adults.  (Don't worry -- I'll have extra staff on-hand to help out.  We're pros -- we saw over 2,000 people here for the last Harry Potter book release!)

And yes, somewhere in all of this we will have a big hoorah about the release of The Force Unleashed.

I'll continue to correspond with Allan and Martin, but I wanted to get this info on the thread so that everyone could see what's going on.  This is going to be FUN!  You folks rock -- thank you!!

Cheers,
Andrew

Offline Quick2

• Cloud City Member
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Thanks Andrew.. Great Update on this Event... Looking forward to our On going relationship... This will be a great time for all involved..
Peace, Allan
Allan Quick

Offline FireStorm

• Cloud City Retired
  • Shoeless Duke Rufus!!
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Nothing promotes troopers as a B&N then troopers at an elementary school!!

I am in for this event.

Andrew, when you are needing help let me or Allan know and I will make Allan help you!! :shock: Actually, I will help any way I can!

FireStorm aka Martin Vavra
Mjolnir
"It's easy shooting Ewoks...you just don't lead them as much!"

Offline Quick2

• Cloud City Member
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
  :wink: :)    OHHH Yeah.. LOL... Can we get more Business cards made up???
Allan Quick

Offline cmdr.keen

• My launch page
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Nothing promotes troopers as a B&N then troopers at an elementary school!!

I am in for this event.

Andrew, when you are needing help let me or Allan know and I will make Allan help you!! :shock: Actually, I will help any way I can!

Heh heh...I appreciate the enthusiasm, FireStorm.  Just to clarify, I'll be promoting the trooping event and Bookfair during my visits to numerous elementary schools leading up to March 22.  I have absolutely no doubt that schools would love to have CCG visit their students to promote reading and education, but March 22 is the first day of everyone's Spring Break.  So it'll be up to us to bring the kids to the bookstore!!

Perhaps later in the year...closer to the end of the school year...I can read the headlines now: "CCG Visits Local Elementary School to Enforce...err, Promote Summer Reading"

As for "making" Allan help, I doubt that'll be necessary.  :lol:

Offline cmdr.keen

• My launch page
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Heads up: Del Rey has posted that Sean Williams' The Force Unleashed novelization has been pushed back to June 24, probably due to yet another delay in the game's release.  Because of this, we aren't obviously going to have a book release to celebrate on March 22.  That said, I still think we should host CCG for a trooping on March 22...as far as I know, the library is still very keen on using the trooping for their Bookfair fundraiser, but I've solicited their board president for their official response.  Besides, there are plenty of Star Wars books, in general, to promote.  And I still want you folks here...lots of booksellers and local schools are jazzed about it.

I wrote the above to Martin, who said that if I'm up for it we should still lock the trooping in.  As I told him, I definitely am, so I'm just waiting to hear back from the library board.

Just a slight stall...more details to come as I get them.  Thanks for everyone's patience!

Cheers,
Andrew

Offline Quick2

• Cloud City Member
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
We will still do this Troop on March 22nd Andrew......and We will schedule for a Troop for June .. Either way .. We will Troop ..besides anytime we can Troop the better.. Peace, Allan
Allan Quick

Offline cmdr.keen

• My launch page
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
We will still do this Troop on March 22nd Andrew......and We will schedule for a Troop for June .. Either way .. We will Troop ..besides anytime we can Troop the better.. Peace, Allan

I appreciate the dedication, thanks Allan.

Update #2: I just received the enthusiastic go-ahead from the Library board, so we're on!  Since there is now no official Star Wars book release, I'd really like to incorporate the trooping into the Bookfair, particularly in any storytimes we may have...and any other ideas you folks might have.  If you're hesitant to post ideas on this thread, feel free to PM me instead.

And yes, we can definitely do something for June...though I'm personally more anxious/excited for Traviss' Order 66 on August 5!

Offline cmdr.keen

• My launch page
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Re: Barnes and Noble Book Store..Event.... Eugene..March 2008
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 08:44:37 AM »
Update #3: A local author named Kevin Kurtz has written a non-fiction picturebook entitled A Day in the Salt Marsh.  He'll be participating as a special guest storyteller during a portion of the day.  I'm bringing him to two local schools in the week leading up to the trooping event/Bookfair and we're definitely going to be promoting the Saturday event to the kids.  The Library may try to add additional local authors to the roster, but I'll update this thread as I hear from them.

Cheers!
Andrew

Offline grumpydevil

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 09:30:34 AM »
Hi Andrew,

Just throwing this out there without talking to the crew, but if you were able to get Karen Traviss to come out to a signing during a tour, we have an all black Republic Commando in our garrison...(*hint*hint*)  :D

-Kyle
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 11:30:35 AM by masterjedi »
"The EVO troopers were one of the Empire's most specialized stormtroopers."

Offline cmdr.keen

• My launch page
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2008, 11:21:24 AM »
...but if you were able to get Karen Traviss to come out to a signing during a tour, we have an all black Republic Commando in our garrison...

Heh, believe me -- if Traviss were to tour the PacNW, I'd do my absolute darnedest to get her to come here; she's one of my favorite SW authors.  I have no clue what her current tour schedule is, and authors that are affiliated with publishing companies of that size/caliber are booked through a special Author Promotions Department at the B&N Home Office.

It's a bit odd, but we rarely see Zahn through Eugene, either, though I know he'd have a great turn-out.  Portland gets 'em all.  *sigh*

Back on topic, though: the Library may try to get a few other local authors, depending on availability and timing.  I'll be sure to let you folks know as I hear things.

-Andrew
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 11:23:16 AM by cmdr.keen »

Offline cmdr.keen

• My launch page
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008, 08:40:25 AM »
Update #4: So far, here's the plan for the River Road-Santa Clara Volunteer Library Day on Saturday, Mar 22:

~11:00 AM - CCG begins trooping
12:00 PM - Library begins activities (crafts, etc.)
1:00 PM - Author Kevin Kurtz hosts storytime featuring his book, A Day in the Salt Marsh
~4:00 PM - Event ends

The idea is that there will be crafts/activities/photo opportunities all afternoon, interspersed with storytimes.  The Bookfair will allow a percentage of Barnes & Noble sales to be contributed back to the Library -- everything in the bookstore is applicable, from books to CDs to DVDs...even in the Cafe, if one wants their coffee to count.

I've requested a number of signs from our Graphic Arts Department -- one set promoting the Library, another set promoting Kevin Kurtz, and one set promoting CCG.  I haven't received the signs, yet, but I have a quick mock-up that I e-mailed Allan.  I uploaded it to my Flickr account: see it here.

(Note: I didn't know the roster at the time I submitted the photo, so I may submit a second request for a new set with a photo that includes Vader and Chewie, since they're quickly recognizable to many.)

Cheers,
Andrew

Offline Quick2

• Cloud City Member
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2008, 12:27:11 PM »
Bump  Roster added.. Please sign and make this a Great event..

Make sure you read the Updates Andrew is posting on behalf on Barnes and Noble...

Peace, Allan

« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 12:41:49 PM by Quick2 »
Allan Quick

Tags: