Author Topic: Trooping alongside an X-Wing or TIE Fighter  (Read 7202 times)

Offline Volund Starfire

• Kashyyyk Base Member
  • Worst Day-Shift Manager Ever
  • Awards Trooped 10+ times
    • Jason's Facebook Page
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Trooping alongside an X-Wing or TIE Fighter
« on: November 02, 2007, 10:06:10 AM »
I know this would probably go over better on the Kashyyyk forums, but I wanted to run it by you all first.  I had an idea while looking around the cockpit during a good session of Galaxies yesterday.  I first thought about building a replica TIE cockpit for pictures and such, then my mind wandered as I blew away some Rebel Scum.  Well, I then began thinking about how great you all are with modeling and also how many parades the 501st does… and it led me to another possibility.

How difficult would it be to build a replica X-Wing fighter or TIE fighter on a trailer to toe behind a pickup during parades as a float?

I know that some of you will initially scoff because the wings would make it too wide to properly be towed between events, but that is not true.  Remember the old X-Wing models that I’m sure many of you built?  The really wide wings went in through the back of the model then the tail plate was put on… well, that is kind of the idea I had.

The entire body of the X-Wing would be built permanently on a trailer.  I’d initially say with no actual cockpit seat (building stability).  The R2 unit could even have a motor inside which would give it a spinning motion controlled through remote.  The tail of the X-Wing would not be permanently affixed, though, to allow the wings to be removed for transport.

The wings would be two separate pieces (port upper/starboard lower and port lower/starboard upper).  They would be designed to slide on and off with little fuss and bother.  It would probably be at least a two- to three-person job to get them on and off, but it would still be possible.  After they are on, then the tail of the ship would be replaced.

Finally, the laser cannons on the wings would also be separate.  They would screw into the wing tips and have adjustable nozzles (the ‘(’-shaped cups around the tips).  With those on, all that would be necessary is to connect the battery (to make the lights light up—optional), and start the parade.

There you go, one fully fan-built X-Wing Fighter.  It will take some work, and probably fiberglass/wood supplies, but it is doable.  With all of the detail we put into our garb, think of the detail we could put into an X-Wing… or T.I.E. Fighter for that matter.

With the TIE, it would be similar.  The ball cockpit would be fully assembled on a 90° pivoting/raising platform on the trailer.  It would have the struts for the wings, but that is it.  When parade-time comes around, it is spun to face forward and jacked up off the base of the trailer (to allow room for the wings).

The wings are sectional and fit together like a large tent (one piece is placed in another and then secured with a bolt through two holes in each that line up).  The internal “solar panels” could be made from a light plastic or heavy canvas material.  I’d say light plastic to give it the over-lapping look (think black siding).

Presto, one TIE/In Fighter.

Add a sectional and removable wall and roof to the trailer to protect the contents between Parades (for either one) and it is all ready for deployment.  Transport it to the parade assembly area, set it up, then troop alongside an X-Wing or TIE Fighter.  This can be used for setting up near outdoor booths, as well.  Heck, with permission, it can be set up for indoor booths also.  Even in a parking lot area outside of an event!  For additional realism, add a detailed cockpit inside and a stair to go up and look in!  I’m sure the kids would love that!

So, what do you all think about this idea?  It would take some time and planning, but I see it as an actual possibility.  Tell me what you think.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 10:14:25 AM by Volund Starfire »

Offline Volund Starfire

• Kashyyyk Base Member
    • Jason's Facebook Page
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Re: Trooping alongside an X-Wing or TIE Fighter
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 10:17:05 AM »
TIE Fighter Images/Blueprints

« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 10:23:06 AM by Volund Starfire »

Offline Volund Starfire

• Kashyyyk Base Member
    • Jason's Facebook Page
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 10:18:10 AM »
X-Wing Pictures/Blueprints

« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 10:41:41 AM by Volund Starfire »

Offline tavrikgannon

• The "International" 48 Hours of Bill
  • Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 11:08:32 AM »
Oh man, you would go tempting me like that! I think that would be an awesome project. The only problem is that there is time, money and man-hours to contend with. Who would store it? Who would transport it to events? Who would have overall ownership? That sort of thing.
The other thing to consider is, while cool, is that not all events can accomodate something like this. And even if we are talking strickly parades, often times some parades charge an extra fee for "floats". As cool as they are, I don't think people are going to want to fork out the extra cost.

But... if we only lived closer! Dude, I would love to tackle projects like that. In fact, I have often talked of doing a TIE FIGHTER built around a golf cart. But then reality sets in. If I were independently wealthy I'd do it...

- Bill
"In for a micron, in for a meter. No one makes a victim of folks I'm sworn to protect."

- Corran Horn

Offline Cooter Davis

• TI-7852
  • Cloud City Retired
  • Taking a Nap.
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 11:21:10 AM »
To tell you the truth I've also considering doing something like this as well. It would be the coolest thing in the world. However there are just to many buts.......

1. Who would build it?
     A. I know I could build it, but it would take about a 1000 man hours of design and work to put into it. Something I wouldn't want to do alone.

2. Who would transport it?
     A. Depending on how much it weights would be a serious factor of transportation. If it were really heavy, ie needing a Semi to transport it, it would cost near 500.00 to move it. The 500.00
          isn't a number I am pulling out of my rear either. I used to be a member of a WW2 Reenacting group and it cost us that amount for every event to move the halftrack and we knew the
          guy that owned the Semi.

3. Who is going to finance it?
     A. This would seriously Cost a $&@& load of money to build. Especially if it were canon! So prepair you bank loans carefully.

4. Where would it be stored?
     A. Out in the weather would be a bad idea, so do you know anybody that has a spare garage?

Just a few things to take into consideration when suggesting something like this. Unless we have a secret billionare in the club, I honestly dont see it happening.
Although it would be really really  cool!!!!!!
Is a Ka no Kata, with a Zenpo Gari, from the Hoko No Kami position an acceptable defense against a zombie attack?

Offline guyactor

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 11:38:30 AM »
This is a very cool idea. But.......

We've entertained the idea of having some type of truckable item in the Starlight Parade, but didn't go through for the 'main' reason that the Starlight Committe charges hundreds of dollars when it changes from a walking unit (what we've been doing) to anything with  a float. Someone of the staff who has addressed this in the past can add more detailed info. We have had some great ideas. This is one of the best! But as far as parades are concerned, the entry fee goes way up. Plus the other factors just mentioned.

Personally, I'd love to see one built. It would add to the fun, and image of the Cloud City.

Barry

Offline SpitFireScout

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 11:54:57 AM »
Tie Fighter would be very easy to build so its more compact to transport. Just have the wings unbolt then you can turn the cockpit sideways and tie the wings in somewhere upright n the trailer, have a specialized rack for it and stuff.
It would take Alot of plywood... alot, unfortunately that stuff isn't getting any cheaper. The initial skeleton and and body work could all be done with wood, which is easier to work with (easier to do the x-wing because it doesn't have any spherical shapes like the tie-fighter) but after that we would need special materials to get the right textures and detailing everywhere.
Daniel Burgess TK5308<br /><br />Full Metal Scout; for honor, for glory, for extra rations!

Offline Sithman

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 12:19:27 PM »
You know what might be good is building something smaller first,as a trail run to see how things would go.Golden Gate Garrison has a large speeder transport that they built.We could try building along that schematic first,then work our way up to a TIE or X-wing eventually
Nick
"Welcome to Cloud City!A safe place to hide from the Empire...."

"..Unless of course I turn you in!"

Offline Volund Starfire

• Kashyyyk Base Member
    • Jason's Facebook Page
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2007, 01:11:51 PM »
Well, the Speeder Bike motorcycle idea is pretty good... Build a mod that will fit over something and ride it... Working small like that may be the thing to do.

I didn't know that the original idea had already been thrown around before.  That's just the way my mind works.

Offline tavrikgannon

• The "International" 48 Hours of Bill
  • Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2007, 01:21:25 PM »
Doing a troop transport was something I had suggesting doing as a group collaboration, once upon a time. I thought it would be a great idea. But the aforementioned questions always came into play.

- Bill
"In for a micron, in for a meter. No one makes a victim of folks I'm sworn to protect."

- Corran Horn

Offline Stomper

• Cloud City Retired
  • OLD IMPERIAL GOON
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2007, 04:01:29 PM »
The main parade we do as CCG every year is the Starlight Parade, and it IS feasible to do a "float", BUT BUT BUT, as Barry has mentioned it's WAY more expensive, and it would limit the number of particpants and only a few are allowed "on" the "float" and fewer still are allowed to be "out walkers" around the "float".  One option would be to have CCG entries and make the request that our "float" entry would be adjacent to our "marching formation" entry.  IMHO I think a "Troop Transport" design would be a better fit for where CCG is at during this point in time. 

I could easily build a Tie Fighter mock-up, but I'd be a single man paying ANOTHER set of alimony payments to ANOTHER ex-wife if I did! :lol:
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 08:46:05 PM by Stomper »
Tony Krewson
TK/TD-4063
SIC SEMPER EVELLO MORTEM TYRANNIS
MOLON LABE

Offline FireStorm

• Cloud City Retired
  • Shoeless Duke Rufus!!
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2007, 06:19:20 PM »
Here are the con's that I see:

Who pays for it?  Since it has been difficult in the past to get everyone to pay their $10 or $20 for something, it seems harder to believe we could have a $1000 project.

If you didn't pay, do you get to play?  If people chose not to pay into it that is their right.  And we can't limit them from coming to an event.  So, foreseeable as an issue, people who didn't or won't pay get the same benefit as the others.

Who owns it?  This is a huge issue because that means it has to be accessible to anyone wanting to use it.  Which leads to...

If it breaks, who fixes it?  If something happens and someone puts it back and says nothing, like humans sometimes do, we could be out a broken piece of equipment.  Which leads to...

Where do we store it?  It would have to be somewhere secure that everyone or anyone of us would have access to.  So if it is in your garage then you have to pony it up if it is needed, whether or not you are trooping.

You charged what?  Parades cost money.  To run a float in the Starlight FARRRRRRR exceeds our past budget.  Again, knowing that we have been screwed and had budged issues in the past with the regular fees, the float fees will be a toughy.

What will pull it? Someone has to volunteer a rig to pull the thing, which is a liability issue, leading to...

Liability?  Having this is a liability.  It means if someone falls off or is run over by it, the owners are responsible.

Here is where the legion stands, and I firmly stand, on such issues.  If you want it, build it.  If you want to bring it, ask permission of the member who is running the event.  If it breaks that is your deal.  If someone is hurt it is your deal.  The legion doesn't authorize or sanction these as part of our group.  So it is an individuals responsibility, which means if you bring it to an event, you cannot limit a single member from its use or display because you have knowingly brought it to an open event for members.
FireStorm aka Martin Vavra
Mjolnir
"It's easy shooting Ewoks...you just don't lead them as much!"

Offline SpitFireScout

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2007, 08:28:19 PM »
Definitely alot to consider, good thing that we have people bring these issues up for discussion though.
Daniel Burgess TK5308<br /><br />Full Metal Scout; for honor, for glory, for extra rations!

Tags: