Author Topic: Introductions  (Read 3273 times)

Offline Halzgen

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Introductions
« on: February 12, 2014, 08:19:14 PM »
Hi Everyone,

My name is Mark and I currently live in Winston Oregon.  To everyone who asks where is Winston, I simply say the same town of Wildlife Safari!  :)  In fact I live so close I can hear the lions during the summer time announcing they are hungry.  My wonderful wife has been onto me about joining this for some time now and I have to agree it's about time I looked into this. 

I am a husband, father of 2 daughters, a home owner, and a System Admin at the local college.  I am very active outside my home and involved in a lot.  My wife was the chair last year for the Alzheimer's Memory Walk in Douglas County and gained attention from the Alz Association for how well it was done, my oldest daughter is autistic and I am involved in Special Olympics, and my family is active a lot with helping many fundraisers in my area.  My point is that I am already active member in society and would be happy to assist in events in the future. 

Regarding Star Wars, I remember watching Ep IV when I was younger in the theater and remember being hooked within seconds!  This will be the first time doing any costume of this caliber and I am very excited in doing so.  Just out of curiosity, how many costumes do a member usually have?  I am deciding which one to go with and start on and I want to make the best decision!  LOL.  I looked forward to meeting all of you!
:)

Offline Leia8674

Re: Introductions
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 08:20:51 PM »
Welcome to the Forum!  We look forward to seeing/meeting you.
Macy

Offline carpe mindiem

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 08:48:58 PM »
Welcome!

Offline Halzgen

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 09:15:46 PM »
Thanks
:)

Offline NavySith

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 10:26:32 PM »
Welcome

Sent from Kamino using Tapatalk

Scott
CT/SL/TK/AR-6754

Offline Dax Corrin

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 10:28:30 PM »
I'm going Tie Pilot, we flank Vader while he wipes out Rebel scum, and it's more comfortable than TK armor. Welcome, have fun!
TI/IC/IG/IN-12485 Dax Corrin
Founder, NorthWest Quadrant Battery

Offline carpe mindiem

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 10:52:50 PM »
I missed your question at first. Some folks only have one or two costumes. For others of us, it becomes an addiction. :) Sometimes it's good to start with the costume you have your heart set on, and other times it might make more sense to start with something that is easier/cheaper/etc to build or wear. It really just depends on the person. Choose what the most important aspects of getting involved in this hobby are and build from there. We're all here to help with personal opinions/advice along the way, but ultimately it's your decision what you build.

Offline Hoot

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 11:32:40 PM »
Mark,

Hi and welcome. To build upon what carpe mindiem said:

... other times it might make more sense to start with something that is easier/cheaper/etc to build or wear.

There are some costumes that you can build that lead to others.  Take the Imperial, Bridge, Crewman costume; for example. With a quick change, adding gloves, you can be a Reserve Pilot.  From there (by adding gloves, a helmet, and other gear) you could be a Tie Pilot, or several versions of the Imperial Gunner.

So the skies the limit... and what, $$, your wife is comfortable letting you spend.  :wink: :wink: In the mean time I would suggest you come to our events, hopefully as a spotter; Link to the Spotter Check In area.  It is a great way to know who we are and how things go here.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 11:34:51 PM by Hoot »
-Matthew

Offline Terrys

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 01:41:55 PM »
Welcome.

Good to see some more of us in the Central region. I have 4 costumes...and other things in the works. Building them is a part of what I enjoy about it.

Take your time, decide what interests you, and have fun with the process. This is a great group of folks. 

Offline Blue Leader

• Rebel Legion member
  • Ace Pilot
    • Blue Leader's Universe
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 11:06:41 PM »
Greetings. Welcome to the forum.

People have various numbers of costumes, some have one, some have six or more... But most of the people with multiple costumes collect them over a number of years, they don't just buy all of them at once. Myself, I only have one costume thus far, but I have other non-Star Wars costumes. I am also working on two more Star Wars "good guy" costumes and my first 501st costume.

A good place to start would be deciding if you want to be the bad guys (bleh! :P) or the good guys (woo!). I imagine you'll probably want to do a 501st costume, most people do, so it may be helpful to step by the website and look through the gallery of what costumes are acceptable. I'm in the Rebel Legion myself so that's where most of my knowledge is, especially in the pilot area... I'm a pilot costume judge in the RL so I kinda have to be knowledgeable about them! ;)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 11:10:00 AM by Blue Leader »
B-wing Pilot - Jedi[/center]

Offline Dax Corrin

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 08:16:05 AM »
Blue Leader.. it seems that you have started the journey to the Dark Side after spending much time in the light..  I commend that.  :) Topic Hijack over.
TI/IC/IG/IN-12485 Dax Corrin
Founder, NorthWest Quadrant Battery

Offline Blue Leader

• Rebel Legion member
  • Ace Pilot
    • Blue Leader's Universe
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 11:06:58 AM »
Blue Leader.. it seems that you have started the journey to the Dark Side after spending much time in the light..  I commend that.  :) Topic Hijack over.
I'll always be a Rebel at heart, and I've always preferred the Rebel Alliance to the Galactic Empire-- cooler characters, cooler starships... But I want to do a face character and the only one I can think of that I can pull off is a 501st costume. :P
B-wing Pilot - Jedi[/center]

Tags: