Author Topic: Greetings Everyone New Guy here.  (Read 3425 times)

Offline Lanadon

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Greetings Everyone New Guy here.
« on: November 23, 2015, 12:18:34 AM »
I have been a Star Wars fan since I saw it back in 77  8)   
I have a good friend who has been a member of the Ohio Garrison for a long time and whom has prodded me to seek out the local 501st Garrison.
I had the chance to meet a few of you at the Eugene Comic con this year and got to learn that there are at least a "Squad" worth In Eugene.

I am a retired military medic with a lot more money than common sense and hopeful in helping a brand new generation of Star Wars fans
find that their love of a cultural phenom isn't "far far away in a distant galaxy", but right here, in the local schools, hospitals, malls, conventions or wherever
they ask us to be; bringing smiles and OOhs and Awws to adults and kids alike.

I am going to require help in the Costume dept. with suggestions on where to obtain the proper attire supplies AND which "Branch" the Cloud City Garrison could use most.
I figure you can never have too many "Troopers" so that might be the place to start until my Crafting skills are able to tackle something "Named".
I live in Eugene Or. and I have plenty of free time to spare.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
.." HEY! These ARE the droids we're looking for!!"

Offline carpe mindiem

Re: Greetings Everyone New Guy here.
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 09:22:18 AM »
Welcome!

Offline Lidocaine

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 09:31:21 AM »
Hello and welcome!

Lots of choices for what type of trooper you want to go with! In my opinion, go with what resonates the most with you, as you'll be spending money, time making it, and of course time wearing it too. There's never enough Stormtroopers! I know it's awesome to see a big group of TKs for events.

Once you pick a certain character, it's usually best to check out the appropriate detachment for that type of costume. Stormtroopers fall into the First Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment, Scout Troopers are at the Pathfinders detachment, etc. There's usually a ton of resources and help available in those forums. Take your time, do your research it'll save you a lot of time and money in the long run!

Spotting is a great way to check out costumes and pick people's brains for info too! Lots of events coming up with the premiere of the new movie!

Good luck!
Luke - BH/TB/TK-44228

Offline Lanadon

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 09:51:54 AM »
 :D  It definitely wouldn't be the first time I stood by with Gatoraide, watching for signs of fatigue in troops who are wearing a lot of gear  :lol:
or any of the other important duties a "Spotter" fills and it would be an excellent way to meet members, learn how they work and interact with fans, ect.

I will have to pop back over to the 501st Home website and look for the T shirt store so I have at least a few on hand should another event come up that I can assist with
while I am in the long "construction" stage. Probably a better image than my "Come to the Dark Side, We have Bacon" style T shirts that I currently own  :D

Looking forward to meeting everyone and finding out where to go from here.

My heart is set on Tk because, I agree NOTHING gets a fan's heart going more than a Squad of Tks marching into position at an event.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 09:57:36 AM by Lanadon »

Offline Lanadon

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 11:14:07 AM »
Lori,  was that you portraying "Revan" at the Eugene Comic-con this year?

Offline Bowfanny

• Mando Mercs
  • If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a tree!
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 01:34:38 PM »
Welcome! I'm another newbie to the 501st, and I'm working on my Scout-have pretty much all the essentials to start ordered and on the way I just have to wait to receive so that I can assemble! I'm also one of those Mandalorians that hangs around telling people they dropped their pockets! I'm a Marine Veteran myself so I would also say thank you for your service!
Dodge it don't hug it!
Bowfanny

Offline MetalJedi

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 02:25:44 PM »
Hi Bob,

Welcome to the forums!

I always tell new recruits to build the costume they like the most, but I have to agree that we can never have too many stormtroopers!

If you have any questions, then please let us know. We have plenty of members who will try to point you in the right direction.
Harry - TK/TB 6472

Offline CJ49er

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 03:39:05 PM »
Welcome to the club!
SL/TI/TK/DS/BH 12770

Offline Lanadon

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 03:41:20 PM »
Hi Bob,

Welcome to the forums!

I always tell new recruits to build the costume they like the most, but I have to agree that we can never have too many stormtroopers!

If you have any questions, then please let us know. We have plenty of members who will try to point you in the right direction.

Well to quote the folks on FISD, I will probably have hundreds of Questions on "Big Brown Box Delivery Day".  :lol: But sadly due to manufacturing and quality control, that day is probably a ways off.
Until then, I will keep active on the forums and watch for Spotter opportunities in the Eugene area as a chance to meet members.

Offline Quick2

• Cloud City Member
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 06:16:14 PM »
Welcome. There are many members in Eugene.  myself and a few others.
Allan Quick

Offline Lanadon

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 09:15:09 PM »
Bob,

I was costuming my Revan at the Emerald Valley Comic Fest on October 3rd, but sadly, I missed the Eucon.  Were you at the October con?

Sadly I had to miss Eucon because of prior commitments. I love that the Eugene Fan base is growing to the point that we are having our own Conventions now, let alone 2 within a few weeks of each other.  :D

Offline Dax Corrin

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2015, 04:30:22 PM »
We will have a contingent at the Force Awakens premiere at Regal cinemas at VRC on Thursday the 17th, and Friday the 18th from 6:30-8:30 on Thursday and 6-9 on Friday, come by say hi and be sure to check out the spotter's guide elsewhere on the forum.
TI/IC/IG/IN-12485 Dax Corrin
Founder, NorthWest Quadrant Battery

Offline spyrl

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2015, 10:10:53 AM »
We will have a contingent at the Force Awakens premiere at Regal cinemas at VRC on Thursday the 17th, and Friday the 18th from 6:30-8:30 on Thursday and 6-9 on Friday, come by say hi and be sure to check out the spotter's guide elsewhere on the forum.
I've been watching this forum and the Star war Oregon Facebook events but this is the first I've heard that we're doing anything here in Eugene for the opening premiere.  Did I miss a posting or is there somewhere else I should be watching?  It's harder for us to schedule for the traveling events so we want to make sure to do what we can to avoid missing any of the Eugene events. :-D
"He was determined to discover the underlying logic behind the universe.
Which was going to be hard, because there wasn't one." Terry Pratchett

Offline Dax Corrin

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2015, 02:43:04 PM »
It's a bit tricky because event planning is in a cloud city official member only area. sometimes things show up in the spotter threads, which are in the public section of the forum. We'll be carrying our helmets or wearing costumes with no masks or helmets due to the theater's  restrictions and the mall can't have us in costume outside the theater. But, some of us will still be there Thursday and Friday.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 01:15:49 PM by Dax Corrin »
TI/IC/IG/IN-12485 Dax Corrin
Founder, NorthWest Quadrant Battery

Offline David A

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2015, 03:22:13 PM »
Welcome!

Tags: