Linked Events

• Salvation Army Bell Ringing: December 13, 2008

Author Topic: MISSION COMPLETE: 12.13.08 4th Annual Salvation Army Bell Ringing Event  (Read 5015 times)

Offline tbbaker69

Salvation Army Bell Ringing Event

Date:         12/13 (Saturday)

Location: Downtown at Macy's at 621 SW 5th Ave.  We'll have the same 2 doors we've had most years, so we'll be between 5th & 6th Ave on Morrison.

Time:        11am* to 2pm**
(*Event starts at 11:00, but meet up prior to that around 10:15am in the parking area to gear up.  We pick up the collection kettles around 10:45am.)
(**Plan to end early around 1pm if it's extremely cold, but we can always go longer too.)             

Parking:    Same as previous years... The parking garage is at the ODS Tower on 3rd.  It is between Alder and Morrison, so as you're driving south on 3rd (the only way you can go), the garage will be on your left almost directly after you pass the Alder intersection.  It's a steep ramp up just past the corner.  Once you're in, wind yourself up to the 5th floor, and park as close as you can to the Street Elevators (not the Office Elevators).  There is a sign denoting both. This is a quiet, warm sort of garage usually, so it's good for costume changing.  Plus there are no windows or outsiders floating around in there.  I believe it's $4 to park on the weekends.  From there, we just walk up Morrison to pick up the donation kettles and head to our posts.  http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?addr=SW+3rd+and+SW+Alder&csz=Portland%2C+OR&country=us&new=1&name=&qty=

Details:      Additional details can be found in the members section.  If you have any questions, please let me know.

BTW - The Salvation Army really enjoys our support and we are by far their biggest bell ringing presence.  They get a lot more than just the money from our volunteer work too.  There is a lot of exposure, positive feedback, and joy.  They go out of their way to get us this spot and it's pretty clear that we're very special in their book and they truly appreciate our support.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 10:44:49 AM by Quick2 »
Todd
Cloud City Garrison
AR-ARC/CT-501st/IG/RC-Shadow/TA/TB/TD/TI/TK/TS/TX-9700
(also Rebel Legion x-wing pilot infiltrator and astromech wrangler)

Offline Hoot

Re: 12.13.08 4th Annual Salvation Army Bell Ringing Event
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 04:24:23 PM »
Todd,

Baring any interference, from work, I want to sign up, as a spotter.  If there is any thing else, I need to know please PM me?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 04:29:46 PM by Oomar Galor »
-Matthew

Offline THX-1138

• Kashyyyk Base Member
  • Kashyyyk Base Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 11:41:43 PM »
can non-members show up too?

Offline Hoot

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 01:52:50 AM »
can non-members show up too?

THX-1138,

The answer is yes, I am a nonmember also, we can; the garrison calls it spotting.  In my case I have helped in many areas. From taking pics, helping with armor (before/ after a troop), to acting as a guard (over zealous kids, & adults) for some of the troopers.
-Matthew

Offline THX-1138

• Kashyyyk Base Member
  • Kashyyyk Base Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 02:56:50 PM »
SWEET... Can i sign up as a spotter?

Also, should/can i wear my costume?

Billy

Offline Hoot

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 02:52:32 PM »
Also, should/can i wear my costume?

Billy

Bill,

It is my understanding, and please (anyone) correct me if I am wrong, non garrison/ base personal, who spot, can not wear their costume.  Sorry.
-Matthew

Offline chadrice

• www.affordableengravingmilwaukie.com
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 05:43:14 PM »
question just saw the last post nonbase personel can not wear costumes. I know I am not approved yet (dang shoes and belt) does that mean I can only come down and spot in my nice warm coat as opposed to standing out there freezing my cod piece off in my clone costume?
Affordable Engraving
www.affordableengravingmilwaukie.com

you didn't stop riding cause you got old, you got old because you stopped riding.................

Offline tavrikgannon

• The "International" 48 Hours of Bill
  • Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 08:05:29 AM »
A decision like that i to be made by the Event Coordinator. In this case, that would be Todd. If he is willing to let you freze your cod piece off, I'd say go for it.

I may show up for a little bit. Not sure, though. I do have a dental appointment at 2:30 and if traffic is bad, due to weather, I may just stay home since the dentist's office is a couple blocks down from my place.

- Bill
"In for a micron, in for a meter. No one makes a victim of folks I'm sworn to protect."

- Corran Horn

Offline chadrice

• www.affordableengravingmilwaukie.com
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 03:24:03 PM »
Ok Todd looks like the pass has been thrown to you.........
Affordable Engraving
www.affordableengravingmilwaukie.com

you didn't stop riding cause you got old, you got old because you stopped riding.................

Gizimomo86

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2008, 07:33:45 PM »
Hey guys, how did this turn out?  Hope you all had fun :)

~Beth

Offline Hoot

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2008, 09:06:51 PM »
Hey guys, how did this turn out?  Hope you all had fun :)

~Beth

Beth,

We were... ... ... VERY popular :D :D :D :D.  This was my first time and I loved it, I couldn't stop smiling; I have the sore cheeks to prove it. People were waving from MAX, and across the street, they were stopping to get their picture with us (the garrison & base characters), and more importantly they helped out the Salvation Army (with donations). They, the public, didn't seem to mind the weather (cold & wet) as long as they got a picture with their favorate character (I can still one woman yell, happily, "Oh my god it's Chewbacca!!") I can't wait to see how we did.
-Matthew

Offline tavrikgannon

• The "International" 48 Hours of Bill
  • Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2008, 11:37:01 PM »
I saw this today at the Bell Ringing event.....

Pretty frellin' cool!

- Bill
"In for a micron, in for a meter. No one makes a victim of folks I'm sworn to protect."

- Corran Horn

Offline Hoot

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2008, 04:23:48 PM »
Bill,
I was wondering what had happened; when she stopped by.  I knew she had a tat, I saw the edges of it, but not what it looked like.
-Matthew

Tags: