Author Topic: Mobile access to site - Using Tapatalk app  (Read 8622 times)

Offline Ancient Fan

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Mobile access to site - Using Tapatalk app
« on: April 02, 2012, 09:42:49 PM »
Mindie,
Any plans for a mobile version of the website?  I ask because on my android with the full size website the links are very small and difficult to hit properly unless I greatly enlarge the page - otherwise I typically hit the wrong link.
Thanks!
Phil

Edit from Mindie: Short answer is that you can use the Tapatalk app to access our forum from mobile devices. Read on below for more details.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 11:58:48 AM by carpe mindiem »
Phil / ID 7538

Imperial Doorman

Offline carpe mindiem

Re: Mobile access to site?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 09:52:41 PM »
I'm only dealing with the forum. Mobile web probably falls into Johnny's realm. However, I do want to get the ForumRunner and/or Tapatalk plugins installed for the forum so that we can access the board through those apps, which work pretty well. Are you more concerned with the forum or with the website overall when you're doing mobile stuff?

Offline Ancient Fan

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 02:56:13 PM »
I'm only dealing with the forum. Mobile web probably falls into Johnny's realm. However, I do want to get the ForumRunner and/or Tapatalk plugins installed for the forum so that we can access the board through those apps, which work pretty well. Are you more concerned with the forum or with the website overall when you're doing mobile stuff?

Only that the gallery takes forever to load, which I understand is being looked at for other ways of improving the situation.
Thanks Mindie!
Phil
Phil / ID 7538

Imperial Doorman

Offline stevo502

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 04:11:57 PM »
I split this one out from "tips and tricks" because I think it's a worthy standalone topic. I'm not sure what the feasibility of a more mobile-friendly forum is but I think that would be really nice if it's doable. Any experts on the subject want to weigh in?

-steve

Offline carpe mindiem

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 05:32:15 PM »
I really believe that a mobile-friendly forum is achievable with one or both of the apps I mentioned above. One is available as a freebie with a paid version that's ad-free, and the other is paid only. I have both and use them with other forums, and they're great. I don't have the permissions to install what needs to be installed where our forum is installed though, so I need Johnny or David or Kyle or someone to help with that part.

Johnny's going to have to pipe in on the feasibility of a mobile-friendly website, if we want to do something there. Or we need to find a programmer to create a Star Wars Oregon mobile app that combines our site, forum, event request form, etc, etc, etc. How cool would that be?

Offline carpe mindiem

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 05:37:00 PM »
Revision: ForumRunner (the free one) is not supported with our BB software, so that one is out. Tapatalk is supported on our BB, but there's no free version. I'd still like to get that plug-in installed.

Offline carpe mindiem

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 07:48:19 AM »
Tapatalk is now installed and working correctly. I believe the app costs $2.99, and it's available for both iDevices and Android. It's well worth a few bucks if you're someone who accesses forums like this on your phone.

Offline Ancient Fan

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 09:13:42 PM »
Works great, thanks Mindie

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Phil / ID 7538

Imperial Doorman

Offline carpe mindiem

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 11:09:21 AM »
Tapatalk, the app that's really nifty for accessing forums like ours on your mobile device, is now free. I'm not sure if this is a limited time thing or permanent, but if you don't already have it, now's a good time to try it out. Check out Tapatalk 2 for Android in Amazon App Store, Tapatalk 4 (Beta) in Google Play, and the original Tapatalk app for iOS is also free in Apple App Store.

Offline Leia8674

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 09:48:15 AM »
I was wondering about that app - it keeps "popping up" on my phone when I go to the forum site & I was wondering if it was spam somehow & have been meaning to ask =)
Macy

Offline stevo502

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 09:49:26 AM »
I finally installed it about a week ago and it's pretty nice for looking at the forum. I highly recommend it if you're here on your phone a lot.

Tags: