Author Topic: Forum tips and tricks  (Read 6651 times)

Offline carpe mindiem

Forum tips and tricks
« on: February 24, 2012, 12:12:04 PM »
We all have our own tips and tricks we use to customize our experience with the forum. Here's a place to share them! Maybe your tip will become someone else's favorite new trick.

I'll start with these:

- I always use the "Show unread posts since last visit" link above when I visit the board so that I can easily catch up on what's been said without having to scroll through all the forums looking for new post indicators.

- I've hidden signatures to make it easier to read threads. You can do this by going to Profile > Look and Layout Preferences > and selecting the "Don't show users' signatures" option. The downside is that I don't see the real names that people have (hopefully) included in their signatures.

Offline furiousstylz

• Cloud City Retired
  • The maple kind yeah.
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Re: Forum tips and tricks
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 07:30:39 AM »
I don't think the "Show unread posts" is working properly for me. Didn't check the board all weekend, then logged in this morning, and no "unread posts", which was wrong as there are plenty...
JOHNNY SERVIN
  T  K  8  8  9  7

How do you make God laugh?
      Make a plan.

Offline carpe mindiem

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 10:37:42 AM »
It's tricky because it's only going to show since your last visit. It can reset your visit oddly. I've made the mistake of coming to the forum and then hitting the Home link before I clicked the link to show new, and then it thinks I'm on a "new" visit and nothing has been posted in those 3 seconds, so I don't get anything listed. Or if I leave the forum open on my phone browser, come back to it later and reopen from a bookmark, I get nothing new because my initial coming back (before I go to the bookmark) gets counted as a new visit and then loading from the bookmark is another new visit and nothing was posted in those 3 seconds inbetween. Try it again and see if you consistently have issues with it. I'm not sure what I'll do about it if you do, but it would be nice to know. :)

Offline carpe mindiem

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 01:47:18 PM »
In the event planning boards, you can click the "Subject" header to sort the topics within that month's board by date. This makes it easier to see what's going on chronologically. This is why we use the same subject/date format for each event we list.

Unfortunately, there's no option in preferences to make it always appear this way by default, so you'll have to click that Subject header each time.

Tags: