Author Topic: Boba Fett ROTJ Submission  (Read 3916 times)

Offline BobaMichael

• Cloud City Retired
  • BH-97224
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Boba Fett ROTJ Submission
« on: March 02, 2019, 12:31:38 PM »
Here are the photos needed for the application. I do already see some minor items that my wife didn't pick up on when we were taking these (Edit: FIXED)...Such as the jet back being too low, and my neck piece being loose. I will probably 'suit up' again and replace the images that I feel need improvement, but hopefully these don't prevent me from being accepted.

Edit: I re-did the neck and did a 'QA' on everything before the photos. The images below reflect the latest version.

Front:

Back:

Left:

Right:

Action:

For some additional closeups of some of the detail, please see here: http://www.cloudcitygarrison.com/forum/index.php?topic=12366.0
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 07:59:57 AM by BobaMichael »

Offline daryldoak

Re: Boba Fett ROTJ Submission
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 08:10:53 PM »
Great job Michael.  I’ll get these over to the Detachment Leader for the BHG.  I’ll let you know what I hear.
TK/TA/TS/IS/IC/BH-11371

Offline Bodacieah

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 11:37:54 PM »
Nice work looking forward to trooping with you!

Offline daryldoak

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 07:55:56 AM »
Michael, please post a link to your imgur album.  Thanks.
TK/TA/TS/IS/IC/BH-11371

Offline BobaMichael

• Cloud City Retired
  • BH-97224
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 01:51:30 PM »

Offline BobaMichael

• Cloud City Retired
  • BH-97224
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2019, 02:34:20 PM »
You know, looking at my photos almost NONE of the weathering is showing up...The whole thing looks and feels 'grungy' (wife's words), but the photos really don't reflect that.

Here are the gloves:

Even just these by themselves you just see a smidge of the actual 'dirtiness' of the costume. I hope this doesn't affect my certification as the weathering is very prominent on all aspects of these pieces.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 02:36:09 PM by BobaMichael »

Offline BobaMichael

• Cloud City Retired
  • BH-97224
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 07:50:59 PM »
For those that are wondering the status of my certification, I did get some feedback. While most folks don't like being critiqued, the feedback does allow for some 'fine tuning' of costume to ensure the highest quality. Most of my items were done by BobaMaker, so I am working with him on some of the revisions.

For those going for ROTJ cert, please be aware of the newest CRL. Unfortunately, I started this a year ago with the original CRL, so I am figuring out what can easily be changed and what needs different pieces.

I will go through some of the items in hope that others can learn from it before they submit their costumes:

First and foremost, be sure you are in a room with 'clean light' and that you have a good camera or can capture the detail of your costume. Most of the feedback is that the armor didn't have that deep 'texturing' it should have. However, if anyone has dealt with BobaMaster you know his stuff is VERY good. The issue was I was in a bright room with a side lighting and a very 'warm' color. So reds (like the girth belt) look TOO bright, and darker details, weathering and scratches simply don't show up. This is an easy fix...suit up again and take some better pictures :) I may also highlight with closeups the detailed items. I knew when I sent these in that that appeared to saturated and the detail didn't show up...oh well.

The second major category of items was the fit. The girth belt is too small..I recently lost a LOT of weight hoping my 34" waste (which I wear in jeans) would fit my 34" belt...Well, not so much. I have a new girthbelt being built...a 38 should be the right size to get the 3-4" between the buckles. The neck covering was also called out, and even before the feedback I had a new one on order as it was WAY too big.

The third category is more about the correct material. The jetpack, for example, is connected via nylon black straps. They should be tan or white.

The forth 'easy' category are extras...No need for the survival knife in my shin tools. Ok...easy to remove. The rifle was purposely detailed to be a 'new off the factory floor' look. This is not acceptable for certification. However, I am NOT painting my $1000 gun :) Instead, fortunately, the gun is optional so I will leave it out of my next cert attempt...Easy peesy

The 5th category items are going to be the most difficult. First, and this is fallout from waiting a year using the old CRL as a guide...the armor should only be 2-3mm thick. In speaking to BobaMaker, he actually disagrees with this as he has done a LOT of these, and he has found if the armor is to be used for trooping, 2-3mm may cause bending and unsightly creases. The most visible culprit on my uniform is the collar...However, I THINK it will look better if I attach the collar to the vest a little lower. However, the other (more expensive) solution is to get two collar pieces..one for pictures, one for trooping.

The final one is the jet pack. I think this is going to require a bit of work. My jetpack matches the CRL image; however, I am being told it is the SE version. I have done considerable research and apparently there are multiple versions, stunt and hero. These include painted tips of the beacon, or red dots on the nozzles in some images, and some without. Bottom line, I think I may need to negotiate with the judging folks as the CRL from last year actually shows my version of the jetpack. Unfortunately, this is the single most expensive piece from most vendors outside the helmet, so if you have the wrong reference you must do it over.

Anyway revisions continue and I hope this feedback helps those who are in the middle of the process right now of building our favorite bounty hunter....Maybe I should have done the white prototype...one can of Krylon white and done!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 05:35:19 PM by BobaMichael »

Offline daryldoak

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2019, 07:42:48 PM »
CRL is now green.   APPROVED!

Welcome to Cloud City Garrison Michael!
TK/TA/TS/IS/IC/BH-11371

Offline Lidocaine

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2019, 10:54:49 PM »
Congrats and welcome officially!
Luke - BH/TB/TK-44228

Offline nukem25rs

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2019, 07:28:43 AM »
Congrats!!
Mike Kraemer
TK/AR-71508
Centurion 285
Whitearmor.net user- NUKEM25RS
R2-Q5  Astromech.net user Nukem25rs
ARC Trooper Havoc
501stClonetroopers.com User Nukem25rs

Offline CJ49er

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2019, 09:11:49 AM »
Congrats, Michael! Welcome to CCG/501st
SL/TI/TK/DS/BH 12770

Offline Bendingoak

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2019, 11:38:43 AM »
Very envious, congrats and welcome

Offline BobaMichael

• Cloud City Retired
  • BH-97224
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2019, 03:15:48 PM »
Thanks all...there were many more additions I did to my costume that I will need to post (even bought an air brush to finish off some additional weathering on the helmet).

I really appreciate everyone's encouragement as I went through this process. If there is ANY help I can give to anyone else, don't hesitate to let me know.

While I was unofficially at the May 4th thing with Daniel Logan at Washington Square, my official first 'troop' event will be at the Tigard Balloon Festival on Friday. Would love to meet fellow 501st members.

Offline BobaMichael

• Cloud City Retired
  • BH-97224
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2019, 12:56:35 PM »
Here are some of the slight modifications I made to my costume for certification:

Helmet Ears and flight suit

https://imgur.com/a/1Csoyh8

Offline stevo502

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2019, 03:46:13 PM »
Congrats and welcome to the Boba club (and the 501st/CCG/Star Wars Oregon of course)! It looks amazing

I know I speak for the others as well because of how cool they are - but if you ever see an event where another Boba is signed up please reach out to whoever it is if you want to troop it. I think most or all of us have other costumes we can wear and we're pretty good about sharing.

Tags: