Author Topic: Mike's Cad Bane  (Read 27976 times)

Offline CadBane3

Re: Mike's Cad Bane
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2017, 02:00:09 PM »
As promised, here are some photos of me all kitted up. Missing the fingers, but I like how it looks so far:

20171229_131918 by Michael Halstead, on Flickr

20171229_131924 by Michael Halstead, on Flickr

20171229_131929 by Michael Halstead, on Flickr

20171229_131942 by Michael Halstead, on Flickr

20171229_131951 by Michael Halstead, on Flickr

Because these are not submission photos, I am not posting them on the BHG. Just a sneak preview for you all. I'm uncertain what the detachment leader of the BHG will say and if it is approvable or if I have a lot more work to do and it'll be rejected. Anyway, please let me know what you all think so far. I'm so close to submitting!!!
Mike
TK/TB/BH/DS/DZ-42125

Offline carpe mindiem

« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2017, 02:14:00 PM »
It looks great! Super work!

Offline nukem25rs

« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2017, 02:48:30 PM »
that is kriffing awesome!
hows the mask feel wearing it for a bit?
Mike Kraemer
TK/AR-71508
Centurion 285
Whitearmor.net user- NUKEM25RS
R2-Q5  Astromech.net user Nukem25rs
ARC Trooper Havoc
501stClonetroopers.com User Nukem25rs

Offline CadBane3

« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2017, 03:00:48 PM »
that is kriffing awesome!
hows the mask feel wearing it for a bit?

Thank you! The mask is very difficult to breath in. If I don't talk and I regulate my breath, it's ok, but warm (like most helmets). If I start trying to bring in too much air, the mouth (which is the only opening), essentially has the lips seal shut and the whole thing vacuums against my face. Pretty claustrophobic. It will definitely not be a 2+ hour costume. That said, the costume as a whole is pretty comfortable. Having just put it on, I can tell there are a few things I'd like to tweak to make it more troop-able, so I'm hopeful to get some fingers, submit for approval, and if approved, then I can make slight tweaks (like Velcro for the respirator to attach to my upper back so that it takes the weight off the magnets in my mask). Simple stuff like that, stuff I don't want to put the work in on right now in the event I have to rebuild certain parts.

The Chris Stevens mask, which I have on order, has hoses attached and I think they are such that I can build a fan system to blow air through them to my face, which would be a blessing. The problem is that the hoses he attaches initially aren't accurate, but I'm certain I could come up with something. I'm thinking, once that is received, of building a fan system similar to what some TIE pilots use so that I can get cool, fresh air. Breathing is fun!
Mike
TK/TB/BH/DS/DZ-42125

Offline CadBane3

« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2018, 04:24:08 PM »
Fingers. The last part of the mystery. I was able to reach out to Terry Stephenson, who had a Duros build thread earlier in the year and he kicked me out a pair of hands over the weekend. I cannot express my gratitude and am grateful for such a helpful community. These hands are amazing and made out of silicone, so they should last forever.

They looked amazing!

20180104_183703 by Michael Halstead, on Flickr

But, I don't need the whole hand and only really need the fingers. The fingers were solid silicone, so I went and bought a new toy to help me with this:

20180105_121429 by Michael Halstead, on Flickr

After many hours and many knife cuts to my fingers. I was left with a pile of debris:

20180105_144603 by Michael Halstead, on Flickr

But two sets of fingers that will work perfect for my needs:

20180105_132702 by Michael Halstead, on Flickr

20180105_145524 by Michael Halstead, on Flickr

I will need to hollow them out a bit more as they are really tight on my fingers, which is good as they won't fall off, but bad for circulation. This costume officially became one in which I cannot get into it without help.

So, I am all done with my initial work. Couple of tweaks here and there to make it more troopable, but here are the submission photos I will be submitting:

20180105_155931 by Michael Halstead, on Flickr

20180105_155941 by Michael Halstead, on Flickr

20180105_155950 by Michael Halstead, on Flickr

20180105_160000 by Michael Halstead, on Flickr

20180105_160019 by Michael Halstead, on Flickr

20180105_160031 by Michael Halstead, on Flickr

20180105_160143 by Michael Halstead, on Flickr

I am hopeful for approval but will make whatever changes are necessary. I've put so much into this costume and learned so much about the various items that went into it, as well as myself. Never thought I could do some of the things I have done on this costume and whether it's approved or not, I'm so proud of the outcome.
Mike
TK/TB/BH/DS/DZ-42125

Offline Lidocaine

« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2018, 04:26:08 PM »
Out-friggin-standing work!

I thought about doing Cad at one point and totally dismissed it as too crazy hard to pull off, and you pulled it off man! Best of luck on the approval process!
Luke - BH/TB/TK-44228

Offline daryldoak

« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2018, 04:33:28 PM »
Looks amazing!  Good luck on the approval!
TK/TA/TS/IS/IC/BH-11371

Offline CadBane3

« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2018, 04:34:23 PM »

I thought about doing Cad at one point and totally dismissed it as too crazy hard to pull off, and you pulled it off man! Best of luck on the approval process!

Thanks Luke! I'm hopeful but realistic that without a CRL, it may be a tough process. It's going to be real tough to troop in. Can't breath, can't use my fingers, etc. Going to need to dial in quite a few things to make it more than a 30 minute costume, but I just love it. Also, I want to work on a voice changer so I can get his sounds. Anyway, thanks for all your support as I've gone through this process!
Mike
TK/TB/BH/DS/DZ-42125

Offline CadBane3

« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2018, 04:34:55 PM »
Looks amazing!  Good luck on the approval!

Thanks Daryl! Gonna have a Fett for you to review in a few months, I hope!
Mike
TK/TB/BH/DS/DZ-42125

Offline nukem25rs

« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2018, 04:36:34 PM »
Awesome!! glad you were finally able to find the fingers, they really finish it off! turned out so good  :lol:

Mike Kraemer
TK/AR-71508
Centurion 285
Whitearmor.net user- NUKEM25RS
R2-Q5  Astromech.net user Nukem25rs
ARC Trooper Havoc
501stClonetroopers.com User Nukem25rs

Offline Lidocaine

« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2018, 04:46:39 PM »

Thanks Luke! I'm hopeful but realistic that without a CRL, it may be a tough process. It's going to be real tough to troop in. Can't breath, can't use my fingers, etc. Going to need to dial in quite a few things to make it more than a 30 minute costume, but I just love it. Also, I want to work on a voice changer so I can get his sounds. Anyway, thanks for all your support as I've gone through this process!

There's some good discussion in the BHG detachment about fans/breathing for Greedo that I've been looking at. Might stir up some good ideas for Cad too!
http://thebhg.net/forum/index.php?/topic/4522-more-on-greedo-fans/
http://thebhg.net/forum/index.php?/topic/4406-ventilation-inside-greedo-mask/
Luke - BH/TB/TK-44228

Offline CadBane3

« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2018, 04:56:33 PM »

There's some good discussion in the BHG detachment about fans/breathing for Greedo that I've been looking at. Might stir up some good ideas for Cad too!
http://thebhg.net/forum/index.php?/topic/4522-more-on-greedo-fans/
http://thebhg.net/forum/index.php?/topic/4406-ventilation-inside-greedo-mask/

Cool! Thanks for that. Some people have put a hole in the head of the Cad mask so that a fan can be up there, and under the hat, but I'm aftraid to ruin the integrity of the mask. Something like this may be better. Thanks!
Mike
TK/TB/BH/DS/DZ-42125

Offline Terrys

• Cloud City Retired
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2018, 09:17:04 PM »
Nice work Mike. The hands look great. Nice to see them in action.

Offline CadBane3

« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2018, 03:50:26 PM »
Got a great test run of this costume today while walking around Heroes and Villains. Was able to identify a few areas that will need some work. My kick plates on my shoes want to come off as they are hit by the tails of the duster. They are currently held on by Velcro, so perhaps more Velcro or even snaps are needed. Also, my rocket boosters are a bit top heavy, so when I walk around, they rotate and face the wrong direction. Not a problem as I can just glue them permanently into place. I'm going to wait and see where I stack up on approval before making any major changes as I'd like to reuse the rocket boosters if they are approved but the shoes are not, and vice versa. Other than that, the costume was hot and the fingers are a bit too tight, but we all know that costumes are hot and I can try to cut out more of the fingers. I do like that they are tight as I'm not having to walk around the con looking for a lost finger! So, if those are my only complaints, I'd call it a roaring success!

I received a lot of amazing feedback from people in this group, as well as people at the con. It was amazing to hear all the nice things you all had to say and I wanted to thank you and tell you I am truly touched that you take the time to read this little build log and go so far as to let me know you like my work. Makes it all worth it. Thank you so much.

Vaughn took this picture of me today:

received_10100374431708168 by Michael Halstead, on Flickr

If anybody else got any photos, please add them to this thread and let me know if it's ok to add them to my cosplay Instagram. Thank you.

Regarding approval, the detachment leadership of the Bounty Hunters Guild are reviewing everything currently and I have provided them any additional photos they request. I am hopeful to get feedback in the next few weeks. Fingers crossed!
Mike
TK/TB/BH/DS/DZ-42125

Offline carpe mindiem

« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2018, 03:56:50 PM »
Looks fantastic! Great job! Can’t wait to see it in person.

Tags: