Author Topic: WIP ARC Trooper (TCW) (Phase 1): Echo  (Read 5632 times)

Offline TrooperTim1138

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
WIP ARC Trooper (TCW) (Phase 1): Echo
« on: September 15, 2017, 12:12:34 PM »
After a few weeks of research I finally am getting started. The research is ongoing. I have had contact with the suppliers for everything for the complete kit except for the helmet- I believe the supplier is located in Florida and with the recent hurricanes, I don't expect a prompt response at this point. I have also decided at each step in this process to document my successes and failures. Much of what I will be doing has been done before in exactly the same way- but I will be looking for new techniques that will accomplish the same high quality outcomes if it is a better design. I am not looking to save time, money or work. I hope to achieve a high quality end result.

I am a few weeks from being able to order the armor, planing on picking up some extra shifts at work over the next few weeks. Still in search of a place to work on armor as I can't do much with spraying, sanding or bondo in my small apartment with no usable outdoor space. What can I do? Boots. Most WIP that I have seen start with the big stuff. From someone who has spent time in combat, with tons of gear and up to 24 hours on your feet and who currently works 12 hour shifts, mostly standing/walking- I would argue that your shoes/boots are the most important piece of gear you can have.

I have looked at several methods for creating the boots, from painting existing shoes, filing down the heel on shoes, covering with vinyl and ordering expensive custom made boots. I have chosen to go with purchasing cheaper shoes from Payless Shoes and using vinyl to get the end result. On my first trip to Payless Shoes I found exactly what I was looking for: a pair of shoes that was comfortable, had a completely flat sole and a mostly even thickness sole that had the right profile. In addition to the reference photo from the 501st CRL for a "phase I animated style boot" I am also using an actual animated screen version reference photo (shown below).

Cost: that's one of the first questions I get when talking about the project. I decided to track the costs of everything that I buy. Most often costs are calculated using the price of the major components, but not all the little things you buy along the way. I am tracking everything. So far: $25 shoes, $8 vinyl, $5 Shoe Goo. Will post again when I get some actual work done.

Tim Hadley- Future Clone (ARC Trooper Echo)

Offline MissyThing

Re: WIP ARC Trooper (TCW) (Phase 1): Echo
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 01:14:53 PM »
Wait....you're going to work extra? Now I know things are serious! :-)

Sent from the Jedi Temple
Jedi Missy

Offline TrooperTim1138

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 12:11:43 PM »

Over January Vacation:

1/19 Contacted EVO3 via facebook and was added to list for Animated ARC Phase 1 Helmet. Should be less than 2 weeks until it can be shipped. Chip is Andy's partner now and seems to be handling the FB communications. I know previously people have had issues with response times for EVO3 products but I had several back and forth communications with Chip over a few days.

Looked at alternative to making own shoes at Crowprops. These are the exact shoes pictured in the CRL photo.

I am going to move forward with my own creation for now, I really want to get the look of the exact animated shoe:

The flat sole and detail line above the notching is not visible in the Crowprops boot or other tutorials for making your own. I am using the basic methods presented in this tutorial:

http://501stclonetroopers.com/forum/index.php?/topic/17878-dtr1-clone-shoe-tutorial/

Also the shoe from CRL (Crowprops) has a leather white disc and strap sewn to the side of the shoes. This white disc and strap are included with the KW Designs armor kit and I think I could get the disc closer to the reference photo. So I will see how close I can get before going with the Crowprops boots. Pictures to be posted when I get some work done.

With the shoes that I got (see above posts) I will still need to sand down the heel portion as the sole is thicker at the back than the toe and remove the textured detailing on the side of the sole. That being said, I purchased a light weight variable speed orbital sander yesterday, which I am sure to need for other projects when we move into a house. Planning to work on the shoes today (1/24)

I was still concerned about working on this project when I did not have outdoor space or a garage to work in. I am going to be moving (somewhere) into a house around July so I will get everything done that I can that doesn't involve bondo/sanding/respirator before then. So that means cutting and trimming making a mess of the apartment until then!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 07:19:25 PM by TrooperTim1138 »

Offline NavySith

WIP ARC Trooper (TCW) (Phase 1): Echo
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 01:49:49 PM »
And another Clone in the works, Yay!
I have Crowprops boots and the disc straps are separate.

Take your time, there is a lot of trimming and cutting, you can also start glueing. Be careful with CA glue it’s not as forgiving as E-6000.

Sent from the Utapau battle front
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 01:52:58 PM by NavySith »

Scott
CT/SL/TK/AR-6754

Offline TrooperTim1138

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 03:01:15 PM »
And another Clone in the works, Yay!
I have Crowprops boots and the disc straps are separate.

Take your time, there is a lot of trimming and cutting, you can also start glueing. Be careful with CA glue it’s not as forgiving as E-6000.

Good to know! Started the sanding on one shoe on my small uncovered porch... before it started raining. No powertools in the rain, I am sure I read that somewhere.

Offline TrooperTim1138

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 05:05:50 PM »
Update! Still in the battle here. Dealing with recent illness, weather and work space issues and even a death in the family in the last month. But we must soldier on! S3 ARC helmet arrived today from EVO3! I must say out of the box this thing in beautiful! Andy and Chip at EVO3 are still doing flawless work as others have reported. Sometimes the wait between communication was longer than I would have liked but... damn. It is worth the wait. Hopefully going to get some actual work done in the next month!

Offline MissyThing

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 05:28:14 PM »
Looks awesome!!
Jedi Missy

Offline NavySith

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 05:38:36 PM »
That’s a good looking bucket

Scott
CT/SL/TK/AR-6754

Offline carpe mindiem

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 07:24:00 PM »
Very nice!

Offline TrooperTim1138

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2018, 07:06:24 PM »
I took a drill to my bucket. This is simply terrifying to me. But I have done some light sanding with 180grit on the mold lines and then a light pass over the whole helmet with 400 grit. I am thinking I need remove the visor area and the teeth and get those sanded before I attempt a first coat of primer, after I go buy it. Going to pick up some bondo tomorrow... need to make sure I get the right kind. But I am on my way.

Offline NavySith

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2018, 09:52:43 PM »
Little drill holes, file in between and sanding. You’ll do fine and we can help

Scott
CT/SL/TK/AR-6754

Online CadBane3

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2018, 10:49:53 PM »
That would be scary! I'd be tempted to use a dremel and cut it faster, but would be wondering if that could slip and cause damage. Keep at it. It's looking good!
Mike
TK/TB/BH/DS/DZ-42125

Offline TrooperTim1138

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2018, 10:51:17 PM »
You’ll do fine and we can help
I am counting on it brother! Will be hitting you up with probably a massive amount of questions at the armor party in a few weeks.

Offline TrooperTim1138

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2018, 11:02:05 PM »
That would be scary! I'd be tempted to use a dremel and cut it faster, but would be wondering if that could slip and cause damage. Keep at it. It's looking good!
I did start with the dremel "cutting tool" bit. Thats larger hole pictured in the center of the visor here. I found that my normal 18v cordless drill with a normal drilling bit was much easier and precise to control. I managed to drill close holes all the way around the visor without nicking the edge at any point.

I found it also helpful to mark the edges with a pencil since seeing the angles of white/white material can be difficult to see while drilling and wearing safety goggles (SAFETY FIRST KIDS!)

Offline MissyThing

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2018, 05:28:03 PM »
Looks great!

Sent from the Jedi Temple
Jedi Missy

Tags: