Author Topic: Holes for my Tie chest box, need some advice.  (Read 2208 times)

Hikuro1983

Holes for my Tie chest box, need some advice.
« on: August 09, 2017, 07:03:33 PM »
So I got in a tie pilot chest box. Sadly thought the holes for the hoses were not drilled and I was kind of expecting they would be from the person I got it from.
I was hoping to use a circular saw bit with my drill at about an inch and a quarter diameter but the bit won't stay still it just wobbles cause it was a piece of junk.
Already drew a pilot hole on both sides and when I was doing that I discovered there was SOMETHING inside the box and I got no clue what it is. For all I know it's a spacer to help the box from collapsing in on itself over time, but it doesn't surround the interior just partially.

Guess the question is to my fellow tie pilots if you had to make your own hose holes what did you end up using? This is like the last step I need to get this whole outfit done.

Offline CJ49er

Re: Holes for my Tie chest box, need some advice.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 07:48:45 PM »
my chestbox came with holes in it, but maybe try a forstner bit
SL/TI/TK/DS/BH 12770

Hikuro1983

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 08:28:33 PM »
seems like homedepot has got the 1 inch and 1 1/4 available. Maybe get both. Just hope it doesn't shatter the plastic.

Offline Blue Leader

• Rebel Legion member
  • Ace Pilot
    • Blue Leader's Universe
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 10:57:13 PM »
Do you have a Dremel? Maybe drill a small hole into the plastic and then use the smallest sanding barrel bit you have and slowly send the opening?
B-wing Pilot - Jedi[/center]

Hikuro1983

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 02:28:41 AM »
Just got that suggestion. Only issue I can think of would be I've already used my biggest bit and that's still to small for the dremel sadly.

Hikuro1983

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 07:54:29 AM »
K so the frostner bit didn't work cause there's nothing to hold both the drill and box solid in place. So nuts on that. Plan C will be the dremel. I'm going to make a circle stencil and just shave away the shape with the stencil as my guide and to protect the plastic from scratching. .....hope this works

Offline NiteWolf

• Mando Mercs
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 09:08:17 AM »
Try looking for a fine tooth hole saw bit that should make the hole easy enough and should come out fairly clean.

Hikuro1983

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 09:04:41 PM »
I actually ended up using a dremmel the best I could.....It wasn't exactly how I would of liked it to go but it did some what work. I had to use a circular sticker stencil as a template so I didn't get all weird in my cutting. But once I had done that there was ANOTHER layer to do and had to find a longer bit to get into there and that's where things started to get hairy. But I came out on top and now I'm on the submissions awaiting final approval.

Tags: