Author Topic: New trooper, where do I buy spec aromor, I'm on a tight budget.  (Read 6163 times)

Offline ForTheLegion

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
15 years old and in love with Star Wars! Just learned about 501st and I've always wanted armor, but it's expensive and I don't have much money. What do I do?

Offline ForTheLegion

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
Re: New trooper, where do I buy spec aromor, I'm on a tight budget.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 05:07:00 PM »
I'm from Lincoln City in NW Oregon. Call me Gage. I want to go with the old school TK armor but don't know how to get it without killin my wallet.

Offline CJ49er

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 06:41:09 PM »
Welcome Gage!

www.anovos.com is probably the least expensive TK armor.  Being in Lincoln City, you should just charge a few tourists to watch the solar eclipse in your front yard, then you can buy lots of armor  :lol:

SL/TI/TK/DS/BH 12770

Offline ForTheLegion

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 06:50:12 PM »
Welcome Gage!

www.anovos.com is probably the least expensive TK armor.  Being in Lincoln City, you should just charge a few tourists to watch the solar eclipse in your front yard, then you can buy lots of armor  :lol:

lol that's a good idea! I'll check it out and thank you so much!

Offline Lidocaine

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 07:35:32 PM »
Welcome to the forums Gage! While you do need to be 18 to officially be a member of the 501st legion, we can totally get you pointed in the right direction to build your armor.

If you're wanting to do a TK, the First Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment is a great resource on where to get armor and all the accessories as well as how to build it to get approval by the legion. The website for FISD is www.whitearmor.net and it has TONS of reading, and lots of great build threads where you can follow along while folks build their kits.

Anovos does do a payment plan as well, but I'm not sure how much per month, etc.
Luke - BH/TB/TK-44228

Offline ForTheLegion

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 08:54:08 PM »
Welcome to the forums Gage! While you do need to be 18 to officially be a member of the 501st legion, we can totally get you pointed in the right direction to build your armor.

If you're wanting to do a TK, the First Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment is a great resource on where to get armor and all the accessories as well as how to build it to get approval by the legion. The website for FISD is www.whitearmor.net and it has TONS of reading, and lots of great build threads where you can follow along while folks build their kits.

Anovos does do a payment plan as well, but I'm not sure how much per month, etc.
Thank you so much! If I'm not able to join the 501st can I still go to the charity events that the 501st holds. That is one of the main (if not the main) reason(s) I want to join. Also could I still do things with the community ex. Meet ups, or gear parties. I've always been fascinated by the Star Wars universe and seeing that the 501st helps charities in a great reason to get into it. Thank you for your comment and I'll for sure look into it.

Offline nukem25rs

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 06:39:41 AM »
Welcome!
you can sign up to be a cadet here- http://www.galactic-academy.net when your costume is complete and you will get a Galactic Academy Designation number.
there are quite a few troops that cadets are able to attend. The CCG/KB policy if you are under 18 is that to troop as a cadet you need to have a dedicated adult spotter.
We have quite a few cadets that troop quite regularly.

as was said before Anovos is likely your cheapest option. but keep an eye out on the forums(ours and whitearmor.net) for sale threads sometimes kits will come up for good prices. I know the maker AP sometimes will post a full AP untrimmed kit on the FISD forum minus the helmet and soft parts for around 500

Edit- just looked and there are about 3 kits on FISD sub 500(not including shipping) that include the helmets.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 08:55:07 AM by nukem25rs »
Mike Kraemer
TK/AR-71508
Centurion 285
Whitearmor.net user- NUKEM25RS
R2-Q5  Astromech.net user Nukem25rs
ARC Trooper Havoc
501stClonetroopers.com User Nukem25rs

Offline bpresson

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 08:53:51 AM »
Hey Gage, welcome to the forums. My best advice to you is to be patient, save your money, and buy things as you can afford them. There is no way not to kill your wallet if you want to get everything and try to build immediately.  The most expensive part will be getting the basic kit (that I know of, you can't just buy portions of the armor and assemble them, but other here my know better than I about that).  Anovos will have the least expensive kit, and it comes with build instructions, and there are many skilled builders in our group willing to assist (I'm not one of them. I'm a coward that had mine commissioned). 

In the mean time, come spot at events, get to know folks, learn how we operate, join in at an armor party, and have a blast. This is the best nerd herd to belong to.

Offline ForTheLegion

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 10:32:45 AM »
Welcome!
you can sign up to be a cadet here- http://www.galactic-academy.net when your costume is complete and you will get a Galactic Academy Designation number.
there are quite a few troops that cadets are able to attend. The CCG/KB policy if you are under 18 is that to troop as a cadet you need to have a dedicated adult spotter.
We have quite a few cadets that troop quite regularly.

as was said before Anovos is likely your cheapest option. but keep an eye out on the forums(ours and whitearmor.net) for sale threads sometimes kits will come up for good prices. I know the maker AP sometimes will post a full AP untrimmed kit on the FISD forum minus the helmet and soft parts for around 500

Edit- just looked and there are about 3 kits on FISD sub 500(not including shipping) that include the helmets.

Good luck!
Thank you very very much. I can see that I have much studying to do. The only problem for me joining the academy is because it is quite obviously centered around small children. Seeing I am a more intellectual teenager it just seems odd. It's easier to relate with older people for me than young ones. But hey, what can I do about that?

Offline ForTheLegion

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 10:34:56 AM »
Hey Gage, welcome to the forums. My best advice to you is to be patient, save your money, and buy things as you can afford them. There is no way not to kill your wallet if you want to get everything and try to build immediately.  The most expensive part will be getting the basic kit (that I know of, you can't just buy portions of the armor and assemble them, but other here my know better than I about that).  Anovos will have the least expensive kit, and it comes with build instructions, and there are many skilled builders in our group willing to assist (I'm not one of them. I'm a coward that had mine commissioned). 

In the mean time, come spot at events, get to know folks, learn how we operate, join in at an armor party, and have a blast. This is the best nerd herd to belong to.
I will definitely look out for sales and do a lot more studying. My problem with anovos is the high waiting time, I've seen people that had to wait 18 months to get their armor. Also I hear the customer service is quite lacking. I will do research and find what's best for me! Thank you!

Offline sitpadeshu

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2017, 05:02:27 PM »
Wait times are long for many of the armor makers. The more expensive ones tend to have shorter waits lengths, but if you are on a strict budget then you will be waiting a bit unless someone is selling a kit.  Unfortunately the armored costumes tend to cost more as many tools and parts are need to put them together.  This is not said to discourage you, but to give you an idea of what you would be jumping into.

I built an Anovos kit and including the kit, tools, shoes, and extra things needed for approval in spent nearly $2000.  I received my kit less than one year from purchase (I was on the wait-list for another maker but it was a year long wait so I decided to switch).

Many people who really want to get to trooping start with an Officer uniorm or Reserve pilot as they don't cost as much.  That's what I did when i joined.

As for the age thing, you can spot some troops to get to know the group and ask questions about the costumes.  It's a good way to learn what will work best for you until you are old enough to join.
ID/TA-41414

Offline ForTheLegion

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2017, 05:26:15 PM »
Wait times are long for many of the armor makers. The more expensive ones tend to have shorter waits lengths, but if you are on a strict budget then you will be waiting a bit unless someone is selling a kit.  Unfortunately the armored costumes tend to cost more as many tools and parts are need to put them together.  This is not said to discourage you, but to give you an idea of what you would be jumping into.

I built an Anovos kit and including the kit, tools, shoes, and extra things needed for approval in spent nearly $2000.  I received my kit less than one year from purchase (I was on the wait-list for another maker but it was a year long wait so I decided to switch).

Many people who really want to get to trooping start with an Officer uniorm or Reserve pilot as they don't cost as much.  That's what I did when i joined.

As for the age thing, you can spot some troops to get to know the group and ask questions about the costumes.  It's a good way to learn what will work best for you until you are old enough to join.
Thank you so much! I also made another post that was a lot like this one but with some different questions. Another question, how much do you think I would have to pay to get the basic armor that can be approved when I do come to age. Also... what exactly is scouting? What do you believe to be the wait time would be for me personally. I know I'll need to wait but I'm eager to help people and learn.

Offline sitpadeshu

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2017, 05:51:25 PM »

Thank you so much! I also made another post that was a lot like this one but with some different questions. Another question, how much do you think I would have to pay to get the basic armor that can be approved when I do come to age. Also... what exactly is scouting? What do you believe to be the wait time would be for me personally. I know I'll need to wait but I'm eager to help people and learn.

Sorry for the typo.  I meant spotting. :). It's where attend a troop out of costume and help the costumed characters to ensure they don't drop things, break their neck, etc.

If you don't have any tools available at all the cheapest TK would probably be around $1000-$1500.  If you hang out on the FISD forum you may catch someone selling a kit for less than $500 but it's rare.  So let's say you are going for absolute basic and you decide not to do the blaster for now your are looking at:

$500-$800 for basic armor kit (untrimmed and unfinished)
$70 - shoes (if you shop around you can find appropriate shoes for less and paint them)
$50-100 - black undersuit
$200 - misc tools (this will really depend on what needs to be done to adjust your kit to size)
$50 - snaps, rivers, Velcro, etc.
If you want a blaster and want one that is more screen actuate they run around $150-$200

Many people also put at least one fan in their helmet.  Some don't but I'm promise you that everyone that doesn't gets super hot at troops.  These suits are extremely warm.  You can install them yourself if you know how to wire things or you can buy them and I believe that's another $70-$150.

If you know you are on a tight budget again I will suggest what has been suggested before that you save money and spend time with folks in the group.  There isn't an exception to allow people under 18 to join.  We have other Cadets that are close to your age actually.  They too must wait.
ID/TA-41414

Offline ForTheLegion

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2017, 06:12:09 PM »

Sorry for the typo.  I meant spotting. :). It's where attend a troop out of costume and help the costumed characters to ensure they don't drop things, break their neck, etc.

If you don't have any tools available at all the cheapest TK would probably be around $1000-$1500.  If you hang out on the FISD forum you may catch someone selling a kit for less than $500 but it's rare.  So let's say you are going for absolute basic and you decide not to do the blaster for now your are looking at:

$500-$800 for basic armor kit (untrimmed and unfinished)
$70 - shoes (if you shop around you can find appropriate shoes for less and paint them)
$50-100 - black undersuit
$200 - misc tools (this will really depend on what needs to be done to adjust your kit to size)
$50 - snaps, rivers, Velcro, etc.
If you want a blaster and want one that is more screen actuate they run around $150-$200

Many people also put at least one fan in their helmet.  Some don't but I'm promise you that everyone that doesn't gets super hot at troops.  These suits are extremely warm.  You can install them yourself if you know how to wire things or you can buy them and I believe that's another $70-$150.

If you know you are on a tight budget again I will suggest what has been suggested before that you save money and spend time with folks in the group.  There isn't an exception to allow people under 18 to join.  We have other Cadets that are close to your age actually.  They too must wait.

If I'm not joining the legion at the time of our conversation/conversations, I don't quite have to be up to 501st spec right? Well unless I do a troop with a parent or guardian. However if I did get my kit before I join the 501st, do I have to wear civilian clothing or could I wear my armor? (I would go with a parent/ guardian to these.)

About the shoes, would you recommend me get white shoes or cheaper shoes and paint them white? What are some tools I may need for building? Also where could I get them? There is a harbor freight close to me. ( industrial tool store) or should I order them online? Do I HAVE to get a $150-$200 weapon to have it be 501st spec or can I get something cheaper?

In all how much would you estimate me paying for all of the soft goods of a basic TK set? And once I get my kit should I go to armor parties since I have little to no experience with this or should I try it myself? Overall this is very confusing but I'll keep researching. Last night I went to bed at 4 AM because I was on forums for 6 hours. I can see many sleepless night in my future. "I've got a bad feeling about this." -Obi-wan

Thank you al for all of your help and sorry for such a lengthy conversation. I hope I didn't take up too much of your time. Thank you guys!

Offline sitpadeshu

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2017, 06:41:57 PM »
We are here to help. :). If your goal is future 501st membership than you should shoot for the minimum requirement.  A blaster isn't required but if you want to be approved with one than it's going to cost what I had said before.

As for the exact tools and soft goods I can't really answer that.  You'll learn what people use through research and then you can search and choose things based on your budget.  Don't go out and buy tools right now.  Research kits and makers right now.  That's your first step.  Learn about the differences between the various maker options and then make that purchase.  In the mean time learn everything you can about building a kit.  There are many ways to do it and the way I built mine is going to be different from how you built yours.

You are of course welcome to go to armor parties when they happen, but you will do the majority of your building at home, but between asking questions of builders here and on FISD you'll be fine.  I had no idea what I was doing when I started.
ID/TA-41414

Tags: