The time has come to begin planning for the Starlight Parade, one of Star Wars Oregon's biggest events of the year. We would love to have your help as a spotter. There are a few requirements...here's what you need to know before you sign up.Starlight Parade Spotter Requirements:
Other helpful things to know:
- All spotters must be at least 18 years old
- Sign ups are limited to 12 spotters at this time
- Parade length is about 2.25 miles and takes anywhere from 60-90 minutes to march. Please be prepared to march the entire distance
- Parade pace is 120 steps per minute. That's 2 steps per second. Be prepared for a rather brisk march at times! (Especially if we get stopped by the Max and have to make up space between us and the group in front of us.)
What to watch for during the parade:
- Get some good sleep the night before the parade, and don't overexert yourself the day of the parade.
- Pre-parade is a great time to mingle with other members! Show up early and make a day of it!
- Stay hydrated! Drink plenty of water prior to the start of the event
- Plan to arrive at the staging area early. We'll provide some guidance about arrival times when we get closer. Streets get closed off, so you may want to plan multiple routes/parking areas as fallbacks if you can't reach your preferred spot. Consider ridesharing or mass transit.
- Be sure to eat a light meal prior to the start of the parade
- Don't forget to take a bio break prior to the start of the parade...there are no bathrooms on the parade route
- Be available to costumed SWO members to assist them as needed in getting suited up for the parade
- There will be a group photo prior to parade step off. We will need your assistance with crowd control
- Overheated SWO members: Especially those in armor. The parade is long and often HOT, and we rely on spotters to safely assist overheated troopers back to base when needed. They will know to find you also if they are having a problem
- Overzealous Star Wars fans: the Starlight Parade has very enthusiastic attendees. You will need to be on the lookout for fans forcing their way onto the parade route for a little extra interaction with our costumed members
- Pacing: When we step off on Burnside, it's literally a downhill tread for the first few hundred yards so that's a good time to get yourself comfortable pacing yourself. The parade officials will likely ask you to hurry the group up. Resist the urge to run to catch up to the group ahead of us. Our costumed members cannot move that fast!
- The live TV section is in the last half of the route. You'll notice extra lighting, and camera operators and/or news reporters may approach you as you're marching
- The parade does not end where we start. You will need to walk several blocks after the parade route ends to get back to our staging area. You can remove helmets and other costume pieces for that walk back
- Stay away from the crowds when marching. Parade organizers prohibit any direct contact between us and the crowd.
We will meet here and hang out prior to parade staging:
And this is the parade route:Spotter Uniform:
Official Star Wars Oregon Spotter t-shirts can be purchased here: http://www.cloudcitygarrison.com/forum/index.php?topic=10627.0
We will have a limited number available for you to BORROW. You will need to be prepared to trade me your driver's license in exchange for borrowing a t-shirt, but don't worry! You'll get it back when you return your Spotter T-shirt.
1. Josh Beckett
2. Leslie New
3. Joe Stagliano