Author Topic: Greedo10360's TB Build  (Read 8679 times)

Offline carpe mindiem

Re: Greedo10360's TB Build
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2016, 06:12:34 PM »
Lookin' good!

Offline CadBane3

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2016, 02:15:56 PM »
Started seeing if there was a way I could make the racing suit work as my jump suit. I think I can, so I started out by trying to come up with a template for the riding patches. I've received a lot of help in this regard, so thank you all. I cut up an old pair of shorts to make my own template. Thankfully, they were reversible, so one cut gave me two templates.

And then pinned it to the suit.

Feeling confident in my ability to put on the suit without getting stuck by a needle, I put it on and took several crotch selfies. First time for everything!  :D

So, any input on their shape and how they would look? Do they ride high enough above the knee and come far enough to the front of my thighs? I want to really dial this in before I cut my suede.

As always any input is appreciated!
Mike
TK/TB/BH/DS/DZ-42125

Offline CJ49er

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2016, 11:42:36 PM »
thigh patches come in far enough, and if they "finish above the knee armor" then you are good to go
SL/TI/TK/DS/BH 12770

Offline CadBane3

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2017, 10:25:29 PM »
Happy new year everybody! I've got some exciting updates but first I want to start out with a rave about my new boots and bund from Chrisx909x. Excellent product and worth every penny.

Here are the boots:

And here is a dry run with the bund. Still need my flak jacket so I'll need some Velcro to keep it up, but I was just excited to try all the parts on:

Now, on to my progress today. I finally manned up and cut my suede. I want to go lancer, so this was real suede, so I was hesitant to mess it up. Measure twice...

Still trying to use the racing suit, so I pinned them in place. I'm pretty happy with them:

And the butt flap is also ready to be put in its place:

After some help from Retrofire, I swapped the elastic I had holding the sides of my chest/back with white cotton webbing (again for the eventual lancer submission). I sewed on elastic at the very ends so it will have a little movement.

Then I nearly finished the sewing of my belt, drop boxes, knee elastic, and the over shoulder cotton webbing.

The drop boxes originally had 1 inch nylon webbing so I swapped that out for 1.5 inch cotton webbing after consulting with Retrofire (again, thanks for the help).

Anyway, I'm real happy with my progress. Seems I need to get the flight suit sewing done, make the flak jacket, get new 1.5 inch buckles for my drop box webbing (on order), finish the belt (and rivets), rivet the knees, and then get the 35mm black elastic for my shoulders and biceps and I should be nearly ready to put it all together for fitting feedback. That's really not too much stuff!

As always, comments and critique are welcomed.
Mike
TK/TB/BH/DS/DZ-42125

Offline shwarzwald

• Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2017, 10:48:42 PM »
Wow this build is coming along great! Can't wait to see it finished.

Offline Jabbasdead

« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2017, 11:11:35 PM »
Not sure if you have sewed the patches on, but some scouts use fusable interface to hold the patchesbin place when sewing. I thought the elastic on the biceps was 1.5 inches, 35mm might be too small. When stretched, the elastic looks smaller in pictures. Just a heads up.

Offline L Kamino

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2017, 08:35:59 AM »
Looking great!  You probably already have, but just in case, remember to seal the edges of the strap fabric so they don't come unraveled. 
Eetla the Ewok, Darth Revan, Pilot with Rebel Legion Starfighter Command

Offline CadBane3

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2017, 11:13:32 AM »
Thanks for the input. Good stuff! Got some work done on the knees today and believe they are lancer ready. I initially used a washer that was a little too large and popped right off, so I used the some of my last strip of TK abs to build new washers so I could add the 1/2 inch top elastic.

Painted the outside white:

One more piece now finished!

Quick question though, as I don't have a ton of experience with rivets. In putting two of the four rivets in, the metal ball that pulls in popped out. The rivet's metal was bent and they are working for now, but I assume these are weaker than if the rivet worked properly. Anybody have any input on this? Leave them until they fail or drill them out and try again? Any idea what caused this?

Here is a pic of what I'm talking about:

Thank you!
Mike
TK/TB/BH/DS/DZ-42125

Offline CadBane3

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2017, 05:01:12 PM »
Got some additional, exciting, progress done today and the list of what to finish is down to 2 items!

I sewed my pouches to my bund and attached velcro to the back.

Being a bit barrel chested, this was essential. I also sewed a line of Velcro to the flak jacket. This flak jacket is from Max's Sci Fi and it is really nice. I love it. I may need to shorten the sleeves, but we'll see once I put everything on.

I finished the 1 3/8" elastic for my biceps.

I also did a small strip of Velcro on the front of my flight suit. This will keep my cod up. Note, the flight suit is also from Max's and I love it! Once I finish my other one, I'll have a warmer back up for colder outdoor troops.

I added some elastic stirrups to the bottom of my pant legs to keep the legs from bunching.

I added the elastic around the shoulder bells.

And lastly, I redid the cotton webbing on the sides of my armor. The ones I had would work, but these are a little nicer.

So, that's it for now. The last two things are to paint one part of my tank greeblies white and add the two rivets to my belt and I am ready for basic submittal. I'll get that done and post up some pics for feedback.
Mike
TK/TB/BH/DS/DZ-42125

Offline CadBane3

« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2017, 05:53:15 PM »
I couldn't wait until tomorrow, so I added the rivets to my belt.

I then painted my greeblies and all that was left to do was try it on...
Mike
TK/TB/BH/DS/DZ-42125

Offline CadBane3

« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2017, 05:59:57 PM »
And here we go! Initial attempt to put it all on. Please let me know what you all think and if I'm ready for basic submission.

Any feedback is appreciated and also let me know if you need better photos as these are a bit dark and were taken by a child.  :D
Mike
TK/TB/BH/DS/DZ-42125

Offline Mosi

« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2017, 07:33:15 PM »
Well done!
pew pew

Offline solokin

• Cloud City Member
    • Awards
    • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2017, 08:41:40 PM »
Looking good. Watch out for them trees!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CadBane3

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2017, 04:09:06 PM »
To address the feedback I've received, I have lowered the pouches by one inch, adjusted some armor fit locations, and then took some better photos to make things easier on the GML. Here's round two!

I think I will need to do some Velcro to the underside of the hard armor and then to the flight suit to help keep it all in place.

Now to scrape off that pesky white from my knee rivets!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 04:12:41 PM by Greedo10360 »
Mike
TK/TB/BH/DS/DZ-42125

Offline CadBane3

« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2017, 11:34:23 AM »
Starting to think about lancer submission and don't think I need to change much, but I do need clips for my TD. One issue is that my TD seems to have a smaller "wire wrapped" area than some of the other armor sets. I can add the clips, but there isn't much room. Any opinions out there as to whether this would work?

Mike
TK/TB/BH/DS/DZ-42125

Tags: